• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre Op and Family

mauimomma

Realizing it took me a year of back and forth - I have finally decided to move forward in my life and have gastric sleeve. Im scared, happy, intimidated and excited. I have looked at so many web sites, read books and discussed with other patients BUT the one question nobody has discussed with me is how spouses and family react to the surgery, the after body and new dietary requirements. YES - this is all about me, but is anyone else curious as to what the spouses see and think afterwards. My husbands view counted in my decision. I have been very happily married for 27 years, His love for me will never die, He was concerned and also happy for me and felt that this was my decision. If you have had the surgery - please tell me how your family (children) and husband/wife feels about the new physical you and the new mental you. Good Bad or indifferent I need to know how your surgery affected the people around you.

Realizing it took me a year of back and forth - I have finally decided to move forward in my life and have gastric sleeve. Im scared, happy, intimidated and excited. I have looked at so many web sites, read books and discussed with other patients BUT the one question nobody has discussed with me is how spouses and family react to the surgery, the after body and new dietary requirements. YES - this is all about me, but is anyone else curious as to what the spouses see and think afterwards. My husbands view counted in my decision. I have been very happily married for 27 years, His love for me will never die, He was concerned and also happy for me and felt that this was my decision. If you have had the surgery - please tell me how your family (children) and husband/wife feels about the new physical you and the new mental you. Good Bad or indifferent I need to know how your surgery affected the people around you.
I had gastric bypass 6.5 years ago. The first year is tough but doable. It mostly about learning portion sizes. My husband and family were and are very supportive although my husband would like me to cook more! Good luck and enjoy your new look.

Thanks Katherine, There is so many emotions, feeling, questions about this surgery right! I told my adult sons yesterday "I have been this size since being 14 years old. Im intrigued to learn how to do skinny."

Hello, I have also just recently begun this journey. My husband and my parents were not thrilled with the idea of me having surgery at first. My husband has come around and is supportive, as is my mom. My stepdad, on the other hand, Kees reminding me of what I will have to go without and trying to talk me out of it. It is very frustrating!

Back