• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-Op Diet— help!

What exactly are you allowed? I was full liquid only, 3 shakes per day and 1 sugar free Jello or popsicle. I wanted to quit so bad lol

Chew sugar free gum. I know you won't be able to after bot for now, chewing keeps your mouth busy. When I quit smoking I chewed in straws cut down to cigarette size, so you can also try that. Drink lots of water too.

Get busy and out if the house. Crochet, paint, tye dye, garden ink what you like but find some hobby that keeps your hands busy.

Its hard but its only 2 weeks!! Your changing your life for the better and its worth the struggle! Good luck

YOU CAN DO IT!
Find something to take up your free time. A hobby?
I was allowed to eat a few things so I ate a lot of fresh bell peppers, does your plan have a free food? I have seen a few people mention things like they are allowed "unlimited" pickles, or fresh non-starchy fresh veggies, etc.

I’m on day four of my two week pre-op diet and am so afraid of slipping— I am so hungry! Any tips, tricks, advice on how to get through the next 10 days?!
Thank you—!
I can say fluids fluids and a timer .. also reaching out to a friend when you get those hunger pains or distract your mind with Reading or doing a puzzle maybe playing a game on your phone or even walking a lil to change your minds thinking :)

Suthy (or anyone who's made it), what is bone broth and what does it taste like? and how do you eat it?
I got a recipe on Pintrest, basically you take soup bones, I used beef, and put in a crockpot with some apple cider vinegar (this helps break them down, couple tablespoons), then fill with water, veggies like carrots, onion and celery, some coarse salt and pepper. Let it get to a boil then turn it down and simmer for 48 hours, this will break down the collagen and marrow. A couple hours before shutting it off, add whatever spices, garlic you like. Then strain it to just broth. I put mine in the fridge over night then strained it again to get rid of any extra fat. I heat it up in the microwave and put unflavored protein powder in it and drink like a tasty hot beverage . It’s really helping in this liquid phase.

YOU CAN DO IT!
Find something to take up your free time. A hobby?
I was allowed to eat a few things so I ate a lot of fresh bell peppers, does your plan have a free food? I have seen a few people mention things like they are allowed "unlimited" pickles, or fresh non-starchy fresh veggies, etc.
I would just kill for a bell pepper— my diet consists of three protein shakes and a 1/2 cup of either tomato or mushroom soup or cottage cheese. My “free” foods are sugar free jello or popsicles, bone broth, or sugar free Gatorade/propel— I just wish I had something to chew on—!

I lived off of pickles my first couple of days of preop. But I think it depends on what you are allowed. Each surgeon is different and has different requirements.
I’m not allowed anything you can ‘chew’ —that’s what I miss the most! I’d love to chew pickles!! My diet is 3 protein drinks, and a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, or tomato or mushroom soup. And as much sugar free Gatorade, jello, popsicles or decaf tea, coffee. I just miss chewing—!

me too. I had my surgery before insurance companies caught on to the fact that they could exploit us. Hardly anyone was having the surgery. But I was in a great program at Virginia Mason, that was not yet titled as a business opportunity by insurance company. My doctor sent me to the business office with my Medicaid card, and the administrators did the math for me and I ended up paying nothing. The University reps set up support groups and food lists, but the rest was up to me.

I chewed jerky and pickles to get the juice, then spat out the solids. I just sucked the flavor out, no solids.

Because a medical student wanted to watch my journey (in fact a whole passel of them observed all examinations), I was also tested physically as they measured my walking and breathing in a tube to make the ball go up and all that jazz. But they were so eager to have a guinea pig, it was a lovely experience. When I moved out of town for a while, they put me up in their hotel and provided me with all their meals.

But I don't think there's any harm in sucking the liquid flavor out of a food you can't chew and swallow. I ate a lot of pickles, or should I say, I drank a lot of them?

And I went to the YMCA six days a week, working mostly on aerobic exercise on a treadmill, then packed my bag so I could start hiking.

So enjoy sucking on that pickle, girl!

Last edited:
me too. I had my surgery before insurance companies caught on to the fact that they could exploit us. Hardly anyone was having the surgery. But I was in a great program at Virginia Mason, that was not yet titled as a business opportunity by insurance company. My doctor sent me to the business office with my Medicaid card, and the administrators did the math for me and I ended up paying nothing. The University reps set up support groups and food lists, but the rest was up to me.

I chewed jerky and pickles to get the juice, then spat out the solids. I just sucked the flavor out, no solids.

Because a medical student wanted to watch my journey (in fact a whole passel of them observed all examinations), I was also tested physically as they measured my walking and breathing in a tube to make the ball go up and all that jazz. But they were so eager to have a guinea pig, it was a lovely experience. When I moved out of town for a while, they put me up in their hotel and provided me with all their meals.

But I don't think there's any harm in sucking the liquid flavor out of a food you can't chew and swallow. I ate a lot of pickles, or should I say, I drank a lot of them?

And I went to the YMCA six days a week, working mostly on aerobic exercise on a treadmill, then packed my bag so I could start hiking.

View attachment 5417View attachment 5416

So enjoy sucking on that pickle, girl!
I’m calling! Thank you!!

Back