• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-op Diet and Surgery Date

Kinsey_gunn

Hi everyone!

My name is Kinsey and I just joined the community here. I am scheduled for VSG on Feb 10th and so I begin my pre-op liquid plan on Wednesday. I am required to stick to protein shakes, broths, approved drinks, SF popsicles, and sugar free jello. I'm really nervous about being successful in sticking to this plan for a whole 2 weeks....anyone else have to do the two weeks? And if so, any tips on how to stay on track? I'm an emotional eater and tend to turn to food for comfort. I'm not very busy these days (hey, COVID!) so I tend to get bored very easily aka eat. I'm expecting the mental and emotional parts will be my biggest challenges throughout this process, so any and all advice is more than appreciated! :)

Hi Kinsey, welcome! Congrats on having a surgery date. My doctor does not do a total liquid pre-op diet but I know a lot of them do. Instead it was protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and a lean dinner. So I feel for you, however, I know a lot of doctors do the liquid only diet and I'm sure they will chime in on how it went or you can use the search tool on this site to bring up past threads on the subject.

My suggestion would be to try to distract yourself and keep yourself busy so that you have less time to think about food. Maybe there is a project around your house or a hobby that you would like to do? And above all remind yourself that this is only temporary. Visualize yourself as the new you, however you may see that. For me it was better health and better mobility.

I find it very important to work on the inside and have the right mindset as you go through this journey. I am really hooked on watching "My Level 10" YouTube videos where you can follow Erin Branscom in her 150 lb weight loss journey after VSG. She is very inspirational and I find I have a new inner peace after using many of her suggestions that weight loss alone can't give you.

We are glad to have you here and wish you all the best on your journey!

Welcome! Keep yourself distracted during those 2 weeks. If you don’t already have a post op plan in place for drinks and support help you might want to do that. It’s so hard finding distracting things right now, isn’t it? Cant go too many places, so maybe plan an imaginary (maybe one day it’ll come true) dream vacation? Anything to keep your mind busy.

Hey, Kinsey. Welcome to the group. I also had to do the full liquid diet for 2 weeks pre-op, during lock down. Although, my team gave us 2 weeks worth of food so, I also had soup and pudding options for lunch and dinner. For me, dinner being WARM was the biggie. The first week I just got the shakes, thinking okay it's like slim fast but for every meal. But that suckedl. So I went back and swapped out for some soup. Sit at the table for your meals, doctor up your broth with spices I had cream of chicken protein soup that was quite honestly, awful. It was much better with taco seasoning, caribbean jerk seasoning, whatever you like. And you can warm up protein shakes to make a hot chocolate kind of deal. (Just warm it, protein too hot clumps!) And find something to do with your hands!! Even if it's just playing solitaire with actual cards, busy hands keep your mind occupied. You can totally do this. Good luck.

Welcome Kinsey. You'll find a lot of good stuff on this forum--do a quick search on just about anything and you'll see someone has had the same experience or asked the same questions. :)

One of the things I did while marking time with my protein shakes was to search and bookmark normal sized cloth sites and recipes that were high protein oriented. I also researched appliances--chaffles anyone--that would make my little meals easier than firing up the big oven. I also read a ton of books and did crossword and jigsaw puzzles. Biggest thing to remember is this is just for a short period of time--in the big scheme of things. It will change soon.

Welcome! Keep yourself distracted during those 2 weeks. If you don’t already have a post op plan in place for drinks and support help you might want to do that. It’s so hard finding distracting things right now, isn’t it? Cant go too many places, so maybe plan an imaginary (maybe one day it’ll come true) dream vacation? Anything to keep your mind busy.

There are great YouTube videos on tourist destinations that make you feel like you are on a mini vacation!

I too am on the prep diet mine is called blended no chunks but not full liquid my start date was 2/5 for the diet. My surgery is 2/15. Understanding the recommended food/recipe lists was hard for me. I asked a lot about substitutions and got cleared on many of them. Still don’t know what to substitute for cottage cheese. But I don’t have to do that one. Meals are the hard part but protein shakes I have down pat. I am only drinking half at a time and they are keeping me filled up. Now just have to put in the vitamin order

Hi everyone!

My name is Kinsey and I just joined the community here. I am scheduled for VSG on Feb 10th and so I begin my pre-op liquid plan on Wednesday. I am required to stick to protein shakes, broths, approved drinks, SF popsicles, and sugar free jello. I'm really nervous about being successful in sticking to this plan for a whole 2 weeks....anyone else have to do the two weeks? And if so, any tips on how to stay on track? I'm an emotional eater and tend to turn to food for comfort. I'm not very busy these days (hey, COVID!) so I tend to get bored very easily aka eat. I'm expecting the mental and emotional parts will be my biggest challenges throughout this process, so any and all advice is more than appreciated! :)
My surgery is 2/23 and I am on day 3 of my liquid diet. My doctor also approved the brand 2Good yogurts. I am finding my protein powder is helping fill me up and I don't want the yogurt, jello, or popsicles after. I am nervous about this being my first weekend not eating foods. Any advice on how you kept busy during weekends?

So glad to see everyone's posts and information. I just got my date today as well 3/15.. which seems like forever away. But I am very nervous about the 2 week liquid diet that I start on 3/1. So love seeing the comments and ideas!
It's nice they gave you advance notice. I got my date last Tuesday and had a week to eat my favorites. Day 3 is a bit harder because I am working from home today BUT I have the willpower and have made great strides in these past 3 days. You got this!!

It's nice they gave you advance notice. I got my date last Tuesday and had a week to eat my favorites. Day 3 is a bit harder because I am working from home today BUT I have the willpower and have made great strides in these past 3 days. You got this!!
Good luck this weekend - i think that will be my hardest time. I can focus on other things while at work. But with kids and hubby around, needing to feed them will be a little harder to do liquids. So I wish you good luck this first weekend. You can make it and then with one under your belt 2 will be a breeze.

Helpful Hint: If there is a food/restaurant that your family likes but you do not, now is a great time to tell them to have it. I don't like Chinese (I know, I know) so my husband ate it about 3 times a week when I was pre-op. Post op is a little easier, as you're still healing.

I feel for you! I did the full liquid diet for a week before my gastric bypass. Did protein drinks. Are you allowed decafe tea? I would do that in between when I thought I had the munchies craving kick in or get a glass of water and drink it. I got Stur drink mixes (liquid to put in my water) on Walmart's site to put in my water so it made my mind think I was getting something sugary even though I wasn't and it helped a lot. Evenings were my worst as that was when I would usually snack prior to my surgery. That was when I would do the hot decafe tea. I have a eliptical so I would hop on it for like 15 min at a time a couple of times a day to break up the boredom and to get me in a routine for after surgery as I knew I couldn't go outside to walk due to ice. Puzzles, going to visit friends, crafting, etc. were other ways that I kept myself distracted to keep from eating. Prayers that this helps you! Just keep in mind your doing this to make your life better and to get healthy so you can do what you want!! Good Luck!

Two weeks of liquid diet is a long time. My blended diet was challenging enough. Tomorrow is my surgery. Had my Covid for before the surgery at 11:25 this morning now I am chilling at the hotel with my meals in the hotel fridge and protein shakes. Yes I brought my mini food processor for my shake and soup. I did make a plate last night for dinner tonight chicken mashed potato and veggies, and I have my chargers I am good to go

Hi everyone!

Kinzie, are you getting your questions answered?

I'm glad you found us! The pre-op diet is the hardest part because we want to eat just like we normally have done and our brain is use to old habits. After the surgery you are not going to want stuff when you are first recuperating so it is easier to stick with your liquid diet guidelines. Remember to walk as much as you can after surgery and stay hydrated. It will be a little difficult to get your water requirements in at first but as the days go by it will get easier. We are here if you need us. Good luck!!!

Back