• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre op Diet

Ive noticed everyone talking about their preop 2 week liquid diet. My doctor has told me they don't do that and just want me to lose weight with a reg diet. Has anyone else had the surgery without the pro op liquid diet at all?

Ive noticed everyone talking about their preop 2 week liquid diet. My doctor has told me they don't do that and just want me to lose weight with a reg diet. Has anyone else had the surgery without the pro op liquid diet at all?

I had a lab band a while back, and I was not on any liquid diet before. Like you said had to lose a little weight. That surgery was a fail.... many issues... I am getting ready to have the bypass and here they want you on a liquid diet for 2 week...

Hi, I'm new here, I just wanted to say they sent me home from doing the y and r cause I didn't do the clear diet...good luck

The docs I have talked to say the liquid diet before surgery is to shrink your liver, so it is easier to maneuver around....

I havent been on a liquid diet yet either but I go for my preop tomorrow 1/30 and surgery date 2/10 im expecting that he will put me on it tomorrow but I dont know.

Your a lucky one... Have your doc call mine.... LOL....
I guess it's a trade off. My surgery was supposed to be in December then they Couldnt get me in so pushed it all back. Which made my my insurance messed up esp seeing I had deductible paid and all. Now I'm doing it all over again this will be expensive ..but worth it . At least some stuff going my way. Oh yeah and I lost over 12 lbs since last visit so super excited...

Pre-op 2 week liquid diet is to shrink your liver so it's easier for the Surgeon to do your surgery and to also avoid staple leaks if you're doing sleeve... that's what my Surgeon told me last week. My surgery date is TBD. I did all the insurance requirements. Im hoping 1st week of May.

Maybe those whose Dr haven't required the liquid diet don't have enlarged or fatty liver. I do. Have been on shakes for 2 weeks...mostly. I'm really trying but there have been days where I have been weak and ate proteins such as eggs, chicken or beef. I've avoided carbs for the most part, but there are days where I'm super hungry!

Surgery is scheduled for the 22nd. Just a few more days...

I was curious about this as well. I was told, I only did a liquid diet a day or so before surgery. I have not had my "Pre-Op with my surgeon or the "Pre-Op class" it's scheduled for May 12th and 15th. I have been on a very low carb diet the past week and plan on remaining on it at least till I speak to the surgeon. I am trying to keep my blood sugar levels as low as healthy prior to surgery and reduce the fat around my liver by being in Ketosis. I still have a month to go.

Maybe those whose Dr haven't required the liquid diet don't have enlarged or fatty liver. I do. Have been on shakes for 2 weeks...mostly. I'm really trying but there have been days where I have been weak and ate proteins such as eggs, chicken or beef. I've avoided carbs for the most part, but there are days where I'm super hungry!

Surgery is scheduled for the 22nd. Just a few more days...
Good luck

I had bypass RNY surgery on May 4. My diet was nothing to eat or drink after midnite. I was supposed to drink a gatorade on the drive to surgery. Had the operation and felt fine. The surgeon even fixed a hernia and did a liver biopsy while he was at it. Glad I didn't have to do the before diet. The post op one is liquid for 10 days, but its been doable.

If I were you I would perhaps try to follow a modified version of the liquid diet even if your doctor does not require it. Perhaps do a protein shake for breakfast and lunch and then do a smaller well rounded dinner with good protein and veggies. I would clear it with your doc first but it can't hurt right?

Back