• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

PRE-OP DIET

Kcuster83

This is TMI but this pre-op diet is giving me serious diarrhea.
I am drinking shakes using Unjury protein powder. Eating: Greek yogurt, unsweetened apple sauce, sugar free pudding and fresh veggies. All on my list of allowed foods. Only 800-900 calories a day total.
I thought it was just a fluke yesterday, but it is non stop thru today too.
I suffer from IBS with constipation so diarrhea is a big deal here, I can't even tell you the last time I pooped this freely.
I am at work in the bathroom every 30 minutes and my stomach is constantly in knots!
None of these things are weird so I don't know what is causing it. Maybe the protein? I have never had unjury until now? I would imagine whey protein is.. whey protein so I just don't know whats up but it is getting miserable and annoying!

Sounds like you need to talk to your doctor.

Sometimes something happens while we're doing something unusual. We attribute the problem to the unusual activity. But by doing so, we miss the real reason.

Especially because you have IBS, your symptoms need to be looked at by a medical professional.

There are effective medications for diarrhea. But your doctor should have the opportunity to test and treat you... Immediately!

Diarrhea can cause dehydration and endanger your health. Please call your doc.

Sounds like you need to talk to your doctor.

Sometimes something happens while we're doing something unusual. We attribute the problem to the unusual activity. But by doing so, we miss the real reason.

Especially because you have IBS, your symptoms need to be looked at by a medical professional.

There are effective medications for diarrhea. But your doctor should have the opportunity to test and treat you... Immediately!

Diarrhea can cause dehydration and endanger your health. Please call your doc.
Yea, I am hard headed. I will probably give it till tomorrow. My luck, I can't tolerate the Unjury and will have to switch to the "liquid only" pre-op diet option which is a different brand of protein. And of course, I have already spent $150 on all the protein for before and after surgery, liquid diet stage.

Don't despair. Most people end up needing Ondansetron and/or Omeprazole post-op. You shouldn't suffer. Get to your doc pronto.

Also, I'm not sure how/why you ended up spending $150, but I'm just going to reiterate some classic advice: Don't stock up until you know what you can tolerate. Buy or beg samples so you can test them.

I do take meds, but over the last year or so it has gotten better with fiberous foods and supplements so I take the prescription as needed now. I haven't taken it for a few months.
It seems to have lessoned through the evening and this morning. So we will see what today brings and then I will call the doc.

Don't despair. Most people end up needing Ondansetron and/or Omeprazole post-op. You shouldn't suffer. Get to your doc pronto.

Also, I'm not sure how/why you ended up spending $150, but I'm just going to reiterate some classic advice: Don't stock up until you know what you can tolerate. Buy or beg samples so you can test them.
I did get samples before buying it and had no problems. But I also only had a sample of each flavor so I didn't drink it 4 times a day.

I asked my dietician why I don’t need to do a colon cleanse the day before surgery (like the prep I do before a colonoscopy). She said “Because the liquid diet takes care of everything. It will clean out your colon until you are just passing water through your bowels.” So diarrhea is common. The liquid diet is flushing out your system until eventually you have no solids left in your system.

I was fortunate to miss the too much liquid shit and no shit scale. I don’t care if I eat a cracker - I’m going to donate it to the big white porcelain throne. My husband swears if take a deep breath I’m headed to make another donation to the porcelain throne. Like most things with this surgery it’s different for everyone. I try to consume 90 grams of protein a day. Some days I do it some days I don’t. The days I do I’m on a porcelain throne schedule. The days I don’t not so much. Our bodies have to adjust to our new eating habits. It can take time.

I asked my dietician why I don’t need to do a colon cleanse the day before surgery (like the prep I do before a colonoscopy). She said “Because the liquid diet takes care of everything. It will clean out your colon until you are just passing water through your bowels.” So diarrhea is common. The liquid diet is flushing out your system until eventually you have no solids left in your system.
I have to do a bowel/colon cleanse too, the night before surgery.

Hi I’m new so I don’t know where I can get protein samples, can you help me?
Thanks
Hello and welcome to the group! I got samples from my bariatric team. But in addition, the brand I choose to use for my pre-op diet actually sells single serving packs for sampling. I don't know if all brands do it, we can use any protein we want after surgery as long as it is "whey protein isolate" but for the pre-op diet we had to use either "Bariantric advantage" or "Unjury". I am having Unjury, so they are the ones I know sell samples if your team doesn't give them out. From there, I would say you could try to google protein shake samples and I am sure some stuff will come up. Another thing I did as a "sample" is that premier protein sells a "variety pack" with 15 different flavors. It was more expensive than their normal cases but it was worth it because I got to try pretty much all of their flavors. I found the premier variety on Amazon.

Side note: Premier protein POWDER is whey protein isolate but their pre-made shakes is not. It is a protein blend. It depends on what your team allows, my understanding is that the whey protein is better absorbed therefore you actually get "more of the protein". I don't think you will find pre-made shakes of whey protein because apparently it doesn't have a long enough shelf life.
I was told it was ok to drink them once I am at least 3 months out and able to eat most of my protein from foods. Also, to shoot for the higher end of the protein goal range so I was actually absorbing enough protein. Basically they said "it is better than not getting in enough protein"

Back