• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-Op Liquid Diet Prep

ck9779

I start my liquid diet on the 27th but since I got paid today I am prepping everything. I bought 4 2lb tubs of protein powder (2 vanilla and 2 chocolate). I heard mixing mio liquid into the vanilla makes some awesome shakes. I got my blender ball cups and let me just say from mixing protein shakes to take to the gym get the blender ball cups. They blend the protein powder in with your milk or water WAY better than the cups that just have the thing at the top.

So I also re-up'd my vitamins. I found a liquid B-12 at Wal-Mart for $3.88 that has 59 doses and bought 1 for work and 1 for home. I got my hot herbal teas (drinking cinnamon chai right now mmmm) and I bought 2 special cups for drinking water and tea. I still need to go get my liquid vitamins but I will probably get them at CVS when I pick up my baby's allergy meds.

I am really trying to psych myself up for this liquid diet.

I'll be starting mine this week, I got a rocket blender and a shake mixer thingy with the metal ball in it. I can also have one meal of 4-6 ounces of protein and 1/2-1 cup non starchy veg. Absolutely no fruits or breads. Two multi vitamins a day, and at least 64 ounces of water (but my nut said the more the better). Its going to be an interesting adventure but my surgeon wants to make sure I am committed to this long term. Good luck we can do this!

I am on week 2 of the all liquid with 1 cup of veggies, it is not to bad yet I am ready to go bat shit crazy because my family is cooking and eating around me and it smells so good, LOL.... The protein shakes are becoming to sweet for me now so I am using more of my unjury chicken soup protein mix. I also have unflavored protein powder that I am mixing into my beef bouillion, crystal light, mixing in with sugar free Jello as I make it. I tend to like savory more than sweet.
I made home made chicken broth last night and spice it up and added some heat to knock out the flavor boredom.

I am curious to see what diet changes will happen on my pre-surgical visit on the 20th...
I am now at 9days and a wake up before surgery.

Wow stinker belle that is so close I have 19 days! yikes lol. I am also able to have three snacks a day as long as they are carb free and light ( different yogurts, string cheese, and jerky) are all approved by my nut/surgeon. What is this unjury thing I keep reading?

I can have unlimited sugar free popsicles, jello, caffeine free teas, caffeine free coffee and clear broths..

Oh I was put on phase 1 diet in the very first week of October. That was, cut out all carbs, 1/2 your portions, 3 no fat / low fat yogurt, lean proteins, 3 veggies a day and 3 fruits a day.

Then on to phase II pre-surgical diet which I am on now...

I am pretty sure when I go for my pre-surgical visit, nutrition class and exercise physiological meeting my next diet will be protein shakes and clear liquids only until my surgery on 11/26/2013.

Wow stinker belle that is so close I have 19 days! yikes lol. I am also able to have three snacks a day as long as they are carb free and light ( different yogurts, string cheese, and jerky) are all approved by my nut/surgeon. What is this unjury thing I keep reading?

Unjury is different flavors of protein. I looked up on the unjury website.

I promise that the liquid diet is worth the effort. The leaner the liver the safer the surgery. Also, after surgery you may have to set an alarm to remind you to eat. Everything changes and food no longer consumes your thoughts. It is great! Just what ever you do once the carb addiction is over don't go back it is like smoking. If you have one you are hooked again.

Best wishes to all!

Oh I have every flavor of Unjury including the unflavored. Now that the sweet is bothering me I am having a lot of the chicken soup flavor. I do not care for the sorbet flavored one unless I use my crystal light lemonade to make it.

My hubby went out and bought me the GNC WheyBolic Extreme 60 in cookies and cream which I'll try tomorrow. I cleared this through my nut who said the WheyBolic is a great choice. I like the fact I can get 51 servings out of a 3 pound tub.

I prefer the unflavored because I can add it to broth, crystal light, yogurt, homemade jello and such.

I start my liquid diet on the 27th but since I got paid today I am prepping everything. I bought 4 2lb tubs of protein powder (2 vanilla and 2 chocolate). I heard mixing mio liquid into the vanilla makes some awesome shakes. I got my blender ball cups and let me just say from mixing protein shakes to take to the gym get the blender ball cups. They blend the protein powder in with your milk or water WAY better than the cups that just have the thing at the top.

So I also re-up'd my vitamins. I found a liquid B-12 at Wal-Mart for $3.88 that has 59 doses and bought 1 for work and 1 for home. I got my hot herbal teas (drinking cinnamon chai right now mmmm) and I bought 2 special cups for drinking water and tea. I still need to go get my liquid vitamins but I will probably get them at CVS when I pick up my baby's allergy meds.

I am really trying to psych myself up for this liquid diet.
You can also make a high protein jello by mixing the protein powders with sugar-free jello. I don't think I'd use chocolate for that. I used unflavored Unjury for the jello. Also they make high-protein broth packets and pudding that you can buy online. I tried to make some of those myself, but it's hard because the protein powder clumps when mixed in water that is over 140 degrees. So you have to make the broth (pudding), let it cool, add the protein powder, and heat it up again. Easier for me to buy the pre-made ones, and they're good.
Just remember to have some variety post-op or you'll get really bored with what you're eating.

They are shaker cups that have this little metal ball inside that looks sorta like a whisk so when you shake up your protein it whips the clumps out and gets it all good and mixed up. I got mine at walmart but most health places like GNC have them

I'm 3 days into my liquid diet and I'm starving! Does the urge to eat everything in sight ever go away?

YES!

In fact, post op you will no longer be hungry. It is wonderful. Don't confuse stomach noises as hunger; they aren't. They are simply noises.

On the protein liquid diet your hunger should subside as well. It is protein that satisfies the hunger need; not carbs!

Ralph

Muli Vitamins

I'll be starting mine this week, I got a rocket blender and a shake mixer thingy with the metal ball in it. I can also have one meal of 4-6 ounces of protein and 1/2-1 cup non starchy veg. Absolutely no fruits or breads. Two multi vitamins a day, and at least 64 ounces of water (but my nut said the more the better). Its going to be an interesting adventure but my surgeon wants to make sure I am committed to this long term. Good luck we can do this!

My doctor told me to STOP my multi vitamin until after surgery???

Back