• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-op what do I need to get ready

I gave myself monthly goals to start small. Quitting caffeine (since that will have to happen for at least a while post op), using a smaller plate when I eat, not drinking with meals, and making sure I had all the over the counter meds I might need. The mental commitment is very personal, so it’s difficult to say how to prepare for that. I looked at why I was having the surgery, what types of realistic goals I wanted, how I’d deal with stalls, how I’d deal with people asking me questions, how I’d deal with food mourning, things like that.

Besides reading and watching as much as I could on weight loss surgery, I started to cut down on what I ate. Often I would have a protein shake for breakfast or sometimes for lunch with a regular dinner but much smaller in quantity. I was able to loose some weight before the official pre-surgery diet started. It's a good time to experiment with different protein drinks but even if you find one you like, your tastes may change following surgery. So don't buy too much ahead of time but do have enough so you don't have to scramble to get some when you return home from the hospital.

Back