• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

pre op

kathleen Sharp

My surgery date is march 7th 2018

I was wondering if anyone tried the patches at bariatric pal
i am thinking of these cause a lot of time i cant remember to do my meds

Any ideas

Welcome to the group Kathleen. :) If your referring to vitamin patches they do not work. Vitamins can not be reduced chemically to just a patch that can then be absorbed through the skin. I've asked both a doctor and a scientist and they both laughed, and wished they thought of the idea to make money on, but they both have said it isn't scientifically possible at this point, and I would be wasting my money. :( That also goes for the vitamin 'misters' and 'vapors' and 'sprays' that you can find on amazon. Those don't work either. I do use liquid vitamins, it's 2 'shots' a day, and easy. I think maybe you should look into buying a watch or putting an alarm on your phone to help you remember to take your meds. Baritastic is an app that is for bariatric patients and besides tracking your weight, protein, water and exercise, it allows you to set multiple timers to remind you when to take meds. It will take getting used to, but beyond daily vitamins, you will need to take calcium every 2-3 hours after you've taken the vitamins because iron cancels out calcium, so you have to take it separately. You may also need to take iron in addition to your vitamins, and with your B12 you have options, but it is also separate and essential after the surgery as well. They truly are serious when they say a lifestyle change and keeping up with your daily vitamins and minerals takes getting used to. I had to use timers for 2 months before I got into the hang of naturally remembering to take them. Best of luck on your journey!

I am 1 week post op. I thought I would need a lot of timers to take my meds and vitamins post op, but i have been doing pretty good. I have a lot of pills to take, like 14, and I need to space them out right now at least 1/2 hour from each other. I would have more if I did not have liquid vitamins and melts. To take all these pills, i just sorted my pills into a single container (pill bag) for the day and carry it with me. When i dont have pockets, i even tuck them in my bra. I know which ones are 2x a day, and take my first set of those in the morning. Then just work on my once a days... by night time all i have left is the second set of 2x a day.

Sometimes, my timing is a little off and they bunch up toward the end of the day. But i dont let myself go to sleep till they are gone. So mostly it goes ok.

It does take some focus. I now wake up and drink protein, take meds, and drink vitamins as part of a morning routine. Everything I do is also portable right now since i am a very busy person - to account for when the normal routine would not be possible. I try and remember that I am working to train myself for healthier habits. Which means that I need to start leveraging routines. I really dont like routines.

I am determined to be a healthier person now. If this is what it takes - I can routine with the best of them.

Back