• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-Surgery Diet

Hi everyone!
I am on week one of my pre surgery diet and I am STRUGGLING. I’m so starving and my blood sugar feels low, I feel weak and just overall yucky.
Does this get better after surgery? I’m worried about not feeling well from not eating after surgery.

Hi KB!

My pre-op diet was s/f jello - s/f pudding - s/f
Popsicles - 2 or 3 protein shakes - broth - soups - and dill pickles (they told me to eat these if I felt dizzy/lightheaded). I love dill pickles - so I ate 3 daily.

I wasn't hungry after surgery - it's different for everyone. Some are hungry - some have to be reminded to eat. It does level off and get better. It's a process - your body has to adjust.

For many people, the pre-op diet is the hardest "phase" of this journey. Others do pre-op find and have some struggles with different parts of post-surgery, but from what I've seen on forums and such, "in general" people usually have a much easier time with hunger post-op than pre-op. However, it can vary quite a bit.

Pre surgery is made even harder because you don't have the benefits of the surgery - smaller stomach, reset hormones and microbiome, etc. - and so the signals your brain gets to eat are much stronger. Your body thinks it's starving, so it's going to react in a way that most of us are all too familiar with. More hunger and a slower metabolism. It sucks. Although some of that can happen after surgery, it's effects are somewhat stunted after the surgery. For some people it is significantly different and it takes them months or even years to feel like eating regularly again. Others deal with various levels of hunger right from the start. I think most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

My post op was MUCH easier than pre-op, as far as how intensely hungry I would get. I still get hungry, but it is different, and not nearly as intense, and I tend to get hungry for healthier foods instead of calorically dense foods.

Most likely, you will feel significantly different after surgery. The liquid and pureed stages can still be somewhat difficult, if not just boring, but usually once to get back into more regular food, things balance out quite nicely for most people.

Hello KB
Hang in there! My pre-op diet was 4 weeks of drinking 4 optifast shakes a day. It was challenging. +++ brain hunger. By the 3rd and 4th week I was losing my motivation and even considered canceling the surgery. I found it the hardest part of this journey. Keep your eye on your goals. For me it was to better my health and overall wellness. Once I got past surgery I felt so much better. It gets better. Hang in there!!!

Hi KB!

My pre-op diet was s/f jello - s/f pudding - s/f
Popsicles - 2 or 3 protein shakes - broth - soups - and dill pickles (they told me to eat these if I felt dizzy/lightheaded). I love dill pickles - so I ate 3 daily.

I wasn't hungry after surgery - it's different for everyone. Some are hungry - some have to be reminded to eat. It does level off and get better. It's a process - your body has to adjust.
Hi! I'm totally new to this board. What does s/f mean?

Back