• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-Surgery Testing

NanaG67

I don't have a surgery date set yet, we are looking at May I believe. So far, I have had a sleep study, psychological testing, and am having an EGD tomorrow. Then I have 2 more appointments with the nutritionist, then I should be cleared to go. I also had to submit a letter from my pcp, and results of a recent stress test. So far everything looks good to go.

Nana-You must be getting excited. I had my RNY 1 week ago today. I remember how anxious I was when all of the testing was going on. Congradulations on making the decision to have weight loss surgery and make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how things are going.

hi NanaG67 how soon is your surgery scheduled? I too am anxious to finish all the testing and get my surgery date. One more Dr. appt then I can schedule to see the SURGEON, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Please come back and let everyoneknow when your surgery is and how you are doing. You will love this site for others have been so kind since day 1 and I look forward to hearing from you and others as we embark our new journey to healthier people.
Newbie Donna

Thanks for the kind words. My EGD went well, even got to bring copies of the pictures home with me. He said it looked pretty good, everything was nice and pink as it should be. He did however, find some inflammation in the lower stomach and duodenum. He put me on Zantac 300mg daily. They did take biopsies, but I guess that is normal. We don't have a date scheduled for my surgery yet, I am getting the duodenal switch, they are telling me most likely in May. All the other things that were required of me, I have been trying really hard to manage. I quit smoking 7 weeks ago, I am no longer drinking alcohol, and they had some diet modifications for me, such as bread, rice, pasta and soda. I have stopped with soda for the most part, and haven't had any rice and only 1 serving of pasta since Jan. It's hard to stay away from bread but I am trying. I also belong to a weight loss support group and they are very supportive of my choice to have surgery.:cool:

NanaG67, you are doing great, that is a lot to give up all at once, I quit tobbaco years ago and that is probably the toughest thing to do, so coffee was the tough one for me I slowley stopped drinking it so I wouldn't get headachs, it might be similar with soda pop because that has caffien in it too so if they want you off soda try swithcing to ice tea then slowly going to decaf, I know it's not the same but it might help. Hang in there and good job giving up the cigs. :cool: Tom

Nana-I agree with Tom about it being difficult to stop so many things at the same time. I used to drink 2 or 3 liters of diet caffeine free Coke almost everyday and 4 liters or more in the summer when I worked in the yard on a hot day. I thought I could never give up my bubbles but it was not that difficult afterall. I just switched to diet powdered beverages and had one small glass of diet Coke as a treat 1 or 2 times a week. After about 2 months I stopped drinking the diet Coke and don't miss it at all. There are so many wonderful flavors of caffeine free sugar free drink powders. I especially like the Hawaiin Punch brand and they are half the price of Crystal Light. The WalMart brand is also excellent. Start now and make the change gradually so you won't miss it so much. It will be well worth it in the end, or should I say in the beginning of your new journey to a healthier you:)

update kinda

Thank you everyone for the wonderful words of encouragement. I have an appointment next week for my nutrition class and the one on one with the nutritionist. Then one appointment left. I am concerned that there may be a delay in getting everything done, as I am still waiting for information from the psychologist because she has not finished the paperwork. When I called the office yesterday, I was told that even though I already did the testing, they are waiting for insurance approval....you would think they would've gotten that first...anyway, my surgeon hasn't received the results of the EGD yet, the dr. who performed the procedure is out all week, so I'm not sure what I can do to get the paperwork. I'm stopping by the office today to see what I can do. Hopefully medical records can get that for me.

I only drink a few cups of coffee a day, not like my husband who can drink an entire pot. I do drink decaf tea, and I do drink the great value brand of sugar free drinks. I really like the orange sunrise, and pink lemonade.

I'm heading to the gym today to see the trainer, and then to see my chiropractor, as working out is still causing some amount of pain in my lower back and legs. I also have some pain in my upper arm. If I haven't mentioned this, I do have fibromyalgia so that accounts for some of the pain I am in. Along with that, I have a 2 mm disc protrusion in my L5-S1 and some swelling around the facets and a narrowing in the spinal openings in the same area. I'll keep you all posted.:D

I did go try and get the records on my EGD, but the report isn't back yet. He assured me that as soon as he got it in, he would fax it to the surgeon. In the meantime, I wait, not much else I can do. I went to the gym, but the trainer never showed up, so we are talking to the owner in the morning. He doesn't want my daughter and I to give up on the gym, so he will do what it takes to keep us there....lol

I have to wean myself from coffee too Tom and wasn't looking forward to the headaches. So you decreased your daily caffeine intake over time and then switched to tea. Did you escape the bad headaches and how long did this take?

Thanks . .. Becky

Hi Becky, I switched to crystal light iced tea then to other crystal light flavors without caffien over a months time and I didn't get any headaches. I think it was about 3 months post surgery before I could drink coffee again, I just have to make sure I balance it out with enough water so I don't get dehydrated. If I remember correctly we have to stop caffien so we heal up real good and it also acts as a dieretic dehdrating us and as hard as it is to get enough liquids we need to utilize what we can intake. The doctors will give you a timeline when you can start drinking coffie again. Hang in there caffien can be a tough one. :cool: Tom

I'm basically only drinking 1 cup of coffee a day. Since things are crazy around my house and I don't get to spend too much time with my hubby, early morning coffee when he is getting ready for work is when we get some quiet time together so I cherish those mornings. When I first switched my tea to decaf and stopped drinking all the sodas, I did have bad headaches, but since I was going to the chiropractor 3 days a week, he got rid of my headaches very easily. Hang in there, the headaches won't last too long.

Back