• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-Surgery Workshop

Jenn L

So, I had my pre-surgery workshop on 1/28/2020. I thought it might be helpful for some if I shared the requirements they gave us.

We were given a choice of two pre-surgery "diets"

1) 3-5 Protein shakes a day. (no food)

2) 2-4 Protein Shakes a day with one meal that consists of 3 ounces of protein and 1 cup of non-starchy vegetables. (Meal must be eaten at one time-not split up.)

The two "diets" can be interchanged daily.

Protein Shake guidelines: 20-30grams of protein, less than 5 grams of sugar, under 200 calories. (I like the Premier Protein Shakes, however, I have heard many people say they taste buds change after surgery so don't buy too many ) They also recommended: Atkins Advantage, Ensure MAX, Unjury, Syntrax Nectar, and Dymatize Iso100

80 ounces of water(with each drink under 10 calories) a day is required. (Sugar-free popsicles, low sodium broths and sugar-free jello count as water.)

Continue to take medicines and multivitamins as prescribed.

For six weeks after surgery, all medicines and multivitamins have to be chewable, dissolvable or liquid. (I already changed the ones I could to chewable and that makes me feel like I have something to eat on the days I do shakes only.)

Behaviors that should already be in place:
Chew food until the liquid
Do not drink within 30 minutes before or after eating
No caffeine
No straws
No carbonated beverages
Drink out of bottles with measurements on the side of it
No alcohol (for two years)

I'm 13 days into this diet and feel good. I haven't felt bad, had any headaches or felt tired. I think it helped that I started eating high protein low carb months ago.

Please note: All surgeons have different requirements. I just wanted to share this in hopes that it gives some an idea of what to expect in the future.

Hope you have found it helpful.

Last edited:
;)

well, with that regimen, they'll be shrinking a lot more than your liver! I'd guess you could lose a pound a day on that low intake of calories, maybe more. If my doc had required it, i wouldn't have been able to do it without cheating, but i have SUCH a strong aversion to diet shakes (even when they're called protein drinks) ever since the Optifast days. Anyone remember Oprah and Optifast? She actually got skinny. It's the only diet she ever tried where I noticed the difference. But I simply cannot conceive of a meal replacement that's liquid. It would slosh around in my stomach and make me feel ill, but that's just me and my peculiar type of digestion.

I found out the answer to a question today. It's customary to remove the gallbladder during RYGB surgery because rapid weight loss can cause a lot of gallstones to develop.

So, I had my pre-surgery workshop on 1/28/2020. I thought it might be helpful for some if I shared the requirements they gave us.

We were given a choice of two pre-surgery "diets"

1) 3-5 Protein shakes a day. (no food)

2) 2-4 Protein Shakes a day with one meal that consists of 3 ounces of protein and 1 cup of non-starchy vegetables. (Meal must be eaten at one time-not split up.)

The two "diets" can be interchanged daily.

Protein Shake guidelines: 20-30grams of protein, less than 5 grams of sugar, under 200 calories. (I like the Premier Protein Shakes, however, I have heard many people say they taste buds change after surgery so don't buy too many ) They also recommended: Atkins Advantage, Ensure MAX, Unjury, Syntrax Nectar, and Dymatize Iso100

80 ounces of water(with each drink under 10 calories) a day is required. (Sugar-free popsicles, low sodium broths and sugar-free jello count as water.)

Continue to take medicines and multivitamins as prescribed.

For six weeks after surgery, all medicines and multivitamins have to be chewable, dissolvable or liquid. (I already changed the ones I could to chewable and that makes me feel like I have something to eat on the days I do shakes only.)

Behaviors that should already be in place:
Chew food until the liquid
Do not drink within 30 minutes before or after eating
No caffeine
No straws
No carbonated beverages
Drink out of bottles with measurements on the side of it
No alcohol (for two years)

I'm 13 days into this diet and feel good. I haven't felt bad, had any headaches or felt tired. I think it helped that I started eating high protein low carb months ago.

Please note: All surgeons have different requirements. I just wanted to share this in hopes that it gives some an idea of what to expect in the future.

Hope you have found it helpful.
This is super helpful! I'm not sure I'll manage 2 years without a wee bit of whiskey but I'll take it one day at a time ;)

Back