• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre surgery

Hey all, my name is Lindsay I am in my Pre surgery stage I leave for my consultation on Monday and I’m nervous but excited. I will be having gastric sleeve, and I’m just overall ready to live my life healthy! I know that surgery is not a fix rather than a tool. Any encouragement and tips would be greatly appreciated.

The best advice anyone could give you is to follow your surgeon's and nutritionist's instructions, which are usually given to you at the hospital or clinic. You can develop great menus with the ingredients they list. It's really not that hard, and when the pounds start coming off, your self-esteem will soar. You've made a wonderful decision for your health and we're here to support you. If you have questions, feel free to ask. We can't give medical advice but we can share our experiences.

The best advice anyone could give you is to follow your surgeon's and nutritionist's instructions, which are usually given to you at the hospital or clinic. You can develop great menus with the ingredients they list. It's really not that hard, and when the pounds start coming off, your self-esteem will soar. You've made a wonderful decision for your health and we're here to support you. If you have questions, feel free to ask. We can't give medical advice but we can share our experiences.
Thank you so much! How has your experience been so far?

My surgery was different 16 years ago. Imagine a 7" incision to get to my stomach and all the stitches that went with it!

But once I recovered from the major surgery, I followed my nutritionist's instructions to the letter. I learned about the nutritional content of foods, I made sure I got the required protein, and drank 8 glasses of water every day. That water thing is something most people struggle with but I love water and am never without a bottle, drinking all the time.

I lost 35 pounds the first month, 25 the second and 15 the third. Then the weight loss slowed down and I stalled for a while. I started hiking & going to the YMCA and got super strong and healthy. I bought tons of "skinny clothes" at Goodwill & such and finally got TOO skinny. My surgeon told me to expect to gain back about 25 pounds, which was really accurate. But that just made me look better.

Since that time, I've maintained my weight with occasional gains.. If I need to lose, I just go back to the original menu plan and get back in shape again. It doesn't work like that for everyone, but you really have to be motivated. I was so fat before, I never wanted to do that again. At 14 months I had lost 115 pounds, and I've thickened up a bit, but that often happens when you age (I'll be 72 in a few days).

I love bariatric surgery. I'd do it again any day of the week if I needed to.

Best of luck to you. Remember the old adage: Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

Back