• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

pre-surgical diet

RMREED

Good morning. I'm currently on my 9th day of my pre-surgical diet and have not lost any weight. Im following the recommended diet exactly. Ive called the office twice and they told me not to worry about it, that some don't lose. If I'm not losing now how will it be different after surgery? Has anyone else had this issue or question?

The main purpose fo the pre-op diet is not weight loss. It is to shrink your liver to make surgery safer. Weight loss isn't the primary concern.
Once you are postoperative things are much different. The surgery isn't primarily about food restriction, although that is certainly part of it. Having the surgery resets many hormone signals to your brain and other parts of your body. During pre-surgery, your body's metabolism will slow down during the pre-op diet because it sees the reduction in calories as starvation. After surgery, your body will actually increase metabolism because it has been rewired to lose weight.

You shouldn't worry about not losing weight prior to surgery, but you should follow the pre-op diet to the letter. It will make your surgery safer and easier for you and the surgeon.

Waz how are u doing??? Are you still losing weight? I have been stuck for a week and kinda discouraged. I thought plateaus come later.
I've been losing about 8lbs per week since surgery. I'm down 32lbs since surgery and 40 overall. I've been eating 800-1000 calories per day (about 80g protein), walking 2 miles per day, and drinking 64-95oz of fluids. It's all going well for me right now. I expect a plateau at some point, but I'm not going to concern myself about it. I'm just going to keep moving forward based on the plan I have and hopefully keep moving toward my body fat goal.

I've read about many people having plateaus in the first month or two. Everyone has different issues at play in their bodies that are going to influence the rate of fat loss. Have faith that the lower calories, exercise, and rejuvenated hormones are going to have a positive effect. The pace is different for everyone. I know it's difficult to not get discouraged about the scale, but weight is a tricky thing and it isn't really the best measurement for success, in my opinion.

You will be okay, just stay the course and don't let emotions get you off course and into bad habits. Keep on the straight and narrow with food, protein, and water. It will work out.

I tried sticking to 2 protein shakes and a tiny meal the first day. I thought it was ridiculous. Plus they told me to eat an apple for snacks and yogurt as well. I made my own diet which consisted of two scrambled eggs, no milk, and two sausage patties For breakfast. Protein shake for lunch. If I needed a snack, I would have walnuts or almonds. For dinner some chicken and veggies. In other words a keto diet. My surgeon said my liver was great. I didn’t tell him that sometimes my meal came from McDonald’s

I've added a bit more protein to my pre-op diet. This is day 5 and I've lost 12 pounds. If I lose too much my insurance won't pay. My dietician hasn't responded to my emails about this; I hope she doesn't have covid. If I could keep this up for a few months I'd be really happy but I know that 1 week is all I have in me.

Back