• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Prescribed Phentermine- Not Sure How To Feel

K-Lo

Hey there,
So I saw my PCM for my first of the consecutive doctor appointments and he wants me to try phentermine. I agreed initially but after browsing posts here and doing some research, I’m afaid it will just prolong things and possibly make me more unhealthy. It seems everyone who has taken it loses weight but then gains more back (story of everything we have all tried). I’m also worried it will make me lose just enough weight to no longer qualify for the surgery since I’m around 41.3. And I’m also afraid if I don’t try it, insurance won’t cover it. Ugh. Feel very emotional about this. Any advice would be appreciated!

What are your thoughts on the medication? Trying to figure out how to talk to the doctor about it.
Just say no. I wouldn't even go to a doctor who prescribed supplements. I have taken it alone and as fen-phen. Just ONE side effect is permanent trembling. Do your research, or better still, just say you don't want a supplement. I don't have the energy to explain but you could die from taking it, or become physically dependent.

I'm eternally grateful that my side effects were so disruptive that i started asking medical people about it. I stopped immediately but it took days to get my body back to normal.

There are a lot of bariatric programs out there that want to give you a weight loss medication initially, to make sure you actually lose and can maintain that loss until surgery. Also, they have to prove that you've been "actively" trying to lose weight for however many months your insurance requires. I just told the doctor at my program I was unwilling to take anything, as EVERY SINGLE weight loss medication has ended up having severe side effects. She was fine with it. They're not going to refuse to treat you if you choose not to take it.

I have taken it and know several others who have. My spouse takes it. Evefybody I know hasn't had any side effects. I couldn't take it as it triggered migraines...so know if your a migraine sufferer this could increase them.

Back