• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

presurg jitters

AngeeBaby94

I am going around tasting all the food I dont think I will ever get to taste again....(I still have 4 days before my 2 week liquid diet)......I have been feeling like I am at the "Last Supper".......I quit pop today.....and am rethinking why I am doing this to myself????? I love my pop!!!!! IT IS ALL MINDSET RIGHT? I am so ready I say to myself until I look at that piece of pizza, or wonder if I will ever be able to walk into a McDonalds.....I do want this, I want to be healthy, I want to play with my kids, I want 5000 things out of this journey.......but I ONLY WANT ONE THING without.......That is food......do you forget what it tastes like?? Do you crave it? I am sorry........like I have said, my doc told me to write my feelings down.....so here is me having a "moment" haha

Angela

Hi Angee ,I too joined this forum today in hopes of meeting people who are thinking in the same way I am and here you are. I do not have a surgery date still going tru the process and need to loose the pre surgery weight. While going thru the dieting to lose the weight I too keep thinking and craving all the foods I wont be able to eat! It's scary to me as well. I just wanted you to know you are not alone in this journey. Best of luck I'd love to share this process with you,take care Joanne

hi Angee &Joanne you are both going through the same emotions and fears and questions that all of us went through. Yes it does feel like "THE LAST SUPPER" but once you have the surgery it's different food still taste ok something's change in taste. My dr told me no snacking fast food etc. he told me that is what got me into trouble in the first place. but I will be the first to admit I have had days when I haven't stuck to the food plan, then I have to start anew, one day and one bite at a time. trust me it's worth it all, the new lease on life this surgery gives you is worth it.Donna

Don't panic, it is not like they are going to sew your mouth shut and you will never ever get to experience chocolate again! I had the sleeve in December and was thinking along the same lines. The difference now vs before is I can eat 3 MM's not 3 bags and be satisfied. I do not indulge a lot but when I want a bite of my husbands cookie I allow it. Hopefully you will find it easier and easier each day to do the right thing. Personally I got so sick of the sweet protein drinks that I was ready to kill for some cabbage.

I think most of us have felt what you're feeling. I did the "last supper" ritual as well. To sum it up quick....it's better after the surgery....lol. For me the "cravings" were better after the liquid diet. After a month of liquids, greek yogurt sounded downright sinful! Hang in there and keep us posted!

I have started the process for the sleeve surgery. Wanted the gastric bypass but dr feels I am too high in risk cause of health concerns. Its hard thinking that my relationship with food has to change. Presently trying to do the protein drinks in combination with eating just protein and vegetables and not snacking more than once a day. I have to consult a cardiologist cause I have congestive heart failure so he will ultimately decide if I have the surgery now. I just found these forums and find them very useful. Thanks for sharing. :)

I remember during my pre-op classes, they had people who had had the surgery come talk to us. One woman, who had lost 200 lbs in one year, said, "You will mourn food....". That was so profound, especially as a pre-op. I am eight days out now, and can only say, I sort of understand that (I think mostly because I am on a prueed diet). The point is, we can have those foods again, just not in the quantities as before, and not as often.

OH wow you summed up everything that i am going thru now, its like if i crave something i think tht i need to have it cuz will be the last time i will be eating, My surgery is in 3 weeks when do we know when to start the liquid diet? My dr has not said anything, maybe cause i dont have to lose before the surgery? Or they will tell me to start after the pre-op class ?

OH wow you summed up everything that i am going thru now, its like if i crave something i think tht i need to have it cuz will be the last time i will be eating, My surgery is in 3 weeks when do we know when to start the liquid diet? My dr has not said anything, maybe cause i dont have to lose before the surgery? Or they will tell me to start after the pre-op class ?

I have to start my liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery

That was what I had to do too. Actually they said have a big breakfast, then light lunch and only liquid from then 'til midnight. Nothing after midnight and my surgery was the next day at 11am.

The jitters are totally normal and I to was extremely stressed about "losing" food. I can tell you my journey was rough for the first three weeks but I had complications, after that third week it was business as usual. Your eating habits will change drastically one because they "HAVE" to and now (three months) because I crave and desire good food lots of different veggies I would have never ate before. My favorites now are "roasted" veggies from broccoli, cauliflower to squash and edamme.

My advice is to stay as positive as possible and when you have a down time "mourning" food, have the pity party, go through the list of "whys" your doing this and MOVE on.

I can tell you this has changed my life for the BETTER, no longer an insulin depended Diabetic, no high blood pressure, no high triglycerides, no high cholestrol, much more active, less aches/pains, better skin, reduce weight by 50 lbs in 3 mo, clothes shopping is soooo fun and the list goes on....so many reasons to stay the course and win this battle against obesity!!!

For every lb. lost you are one step closer to a Healthy you and believe me Doritos have nothing on that!!!

Take care, be blessed and know that you CAN DO THIS! :)

Hi Angee,

I am new here too. I have a surgery date for April but I think you and I are having the same symptoms. Not so much the junk food, but,,, food is a big part of our life and frankly I'm scared. I've been reading other people's posts and it's making me nervous. I have a nutrition meeting to go to the end of February and am hoping that they will address some of my fears there. I hate throwing up so hope to avoid it. I'm scheduled for the sleeve but am having second thoughts now. I hope everything goes well for you. Here's wishing both of us good luck!

Angee,
I stated my liquid diet on feb 13... 3rd day for me ... How are you doing with it?
We have the same surgery date! I have already had one major meltdown... Which I hear is totally normal.... I'm sure I'll have A few more.

Oh Angeebaby lol...i am 25 days out from surgery...and i had the gastric bipass....I understand and remember what you are going thru..the only thing i regret is not eating enough pizza and when and want to tell you the day after my surgery i was craving fried chicken....and i have not one absolutely reason why???? Because i rarely had fried chicken! It got so bad that i almost went got a piece...put it in a blender and took a bite..but i resisted and didnt! lol
I so wish I had known about this site before my surgery...would so of helped in that first week...of feeling like i was a caged animal...if you get that feeling after surgery...remember it doesnt last....just get on here now and write down some good recipes...so that you will have something beside cottage cheese, and yogurt!
I wish you the best...and it isnt to late eat a drum stick for me!!!!! abbie....

Back