• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pretty good news from PCP

Kim M

I went to my PCP on Wed and she called with the results of my bloodwork today. Better news than I expected for 41/2 months post op. Liver and kidney functions are improving, my parathyroid hormone level has come down, my A1C is at 5, triglycerides are normal, my cholesterol has gone from 278 to 220 still high, but improved. My LDL is improving and my HDL is normal. I am not sure if my overall cholesterol will be ever be normal. There is a strong genetic hx with my Mom's family. Her cholesterol was high and she only weighed 110 pounds as was her twin sister. My grandfather had his first heart attack at 57 and died at 75 from a massive heart attack. My b12 levels were way to high so I will have to call my surgeon. As this is a supplement that I take. I see my endroconoligist in November and I am sure he will be pleased. This is why I did this surgery to get healthy and be able to do the things that I enjoy doing. Still struggling with back injury and have to see my pain management doctor in 2 weeks and try and figure out a new tx plan since I have been taken off anti inflammatory meds. Wishing everyone good health.

Kim-Just curious, is there a reason that you are going to your PCP instead of your surgeon to have your blood work done? My PCP did order additional blood work after she received a copy of the results of what the surgeon ordered but the surgeon and the nutritionist have the most expertise in this area.

Hi Pat, My surgeon only does blood work on vitamin levels and parathyroid levels. The nutritionist reports this information to me and any adjustments I need to make. My surgeon feels his role is to do the surgery and follow up on an complications related to it. Any changes in medications or blood work is done by my PCP. I do always have her send a copy to him just because I think he needs to see it. For example he reports with some bypass patients he has recognized development of parathyroid disease 2-3 years post op and he will then refer to endroconologist. This is just how his office works. He has a large practice in NYC with 2 other surgeons and really defines his role as surgeon.

Yay you on your great results. And it looks like you are doing well in weight loss- I know you were initially worrying that it was too slow. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all well wishes. I did whine at first as I thought I should be losing more, but have come to accept that as long as I do what I am supposed to the weight will come off. Thanks Karenina your words helped me so much in the beginning. You told me that the difference between losing weight before surgery and the weight that I am losing now is that this weight I will not gain back. That just clicked for me. Most importantly is that I am moving toward a healthier me.

Back