• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Problems with diarrhea

taxgirl

My husband had gastric bypass September 29. He had many complications & spent 30 days in the hospital since. He is better, but has diarrhea every other day. This has kept him from getting his strength back. Has anyone else experienced this?

My husband had gastric bypass September 29. He had many complications & spent 30 days in the hospital since. He is better, but has diarrhea every other day. This has kept him from getting his strength back. Has anyone else experienced this?

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Just a thought. My husband was in the hospital off and on for other reasons than weight loss. (Kidney and heart problems) One of the times he was hospitalized, he came home with horrible diarrhea that just wouldn't stop. After a while, they finally diagnosed him with C Diff which is a bacterial infection commonly caught in hospitals. They gave him the appropriate antibiotic and he was cured but it took them awhile to figure it out. This could be what your husband picked up when he was in for his weight loss surgery.

Cheyenne

He was tested for c diff & doesn't have it. We sent everything he has eaten to the nutritionist & we are seeing the Dr next Monday. Hopefully, he can give us some insight.

He was tested for c diff & doesn't have it. We sent everything he has eaten to the nutritionist & we are seeing the Dr next Monday. Hopefully, he can give us some insight.

Wishing your husband well, hopefully they will find the cause of his problems.

Cheyenne:cool:

Nurse told my husband to remove all milk products from his diet.He did
and he hasn't had diarrhea since. Apparently, he has become lactose intolerant.
Now, we are trying to get all the protein he needs without milk products.

Nurse told my husband to remove all milk products from his diet.He did
and he hasn't had diarrhea since. Apparently, he has become lactose intolerant.
Now, we are trying to get all the protein he needs without milk products.

Glad they found out what was wrong. :)

Lactose intolerant. I have to remember that too.

This operation has changed a few things for all of us.

My taste buds are not what they used to be.

Sometimes I think I am chewing on cardboard. The taste is so much less.

I am happy for your husband.

Isn't there a pill to help that if you do want to have a "milk product". Is premier shakes a milk based protein shake? I will have to take a look.

Otherwise, Isopure (grape flavored is my favorite) should work for him.

Ralph

I took a quick look on the internet. There are plenty of lactose free protein products out there.

Now you have to find one you like.

Ralph

Thanks for the information. We are also looking for protein bars that are lactose free. Health food stores are telling me that that is difficult & I should look for recipes to make them. Does anyone know of any good protein bars that are lactose free? Or any good recipes?

While most gastric bypass patients will experience this side effect within the first 18 months, the incidence of chronic dumping syndrome is 5–10%. Facial flushing, lightheadedness, fatigue, and postprandial diarrhea occur following consumption of sugars and processed starches.

Back