• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Problems with the Veterans Administration

omahajimmyt,

That's good. Whenever things were not going the they should with my dad, my mother went the advocate. Good with that and I hope it works out. Be persistent my mom always was and got great results. It may have taken a while but it always worked out.

TillieS

TillieS, I tried the MOVE program twice. They are only about eating less and exercising more, which the VA itself says does not work for someone as fat as I am.

Morbidly obese patients (i.e., those with BMI greater than 40) do not usually achieve substantial weight
loss as a result of lifestyle modifications and drug therapy. Only bariatric surgery has been
demonstrated to consistently result in profound and long-term weight loss for the morbidly obese.

I am getting a lot of information printed at the library today and will got to the VA patient advocate this afternoon to file a complaint. Thanks!

Saw the patient advocate today. At first they said they couldn't do anything, maybe I could buy my own insurance. Told them that wasn't an option and I was staying till they came up with something better. The idiot clerk said he didn't put much stock in reports, even after I told him it was written by the VA, the organization HE works for. Don't think I got through. He did talk to surgery and said he would get back to me tomorrow. We'll see. Looks like a long fight ahead.

If you are 100% disabled and use the VA you should qualify for medicare which will pay for the surgery. Have you applied?
Just a thought

Good luck and welcome

Saw the patient advocate today. At first they said they couldn't do anything, maybe I could buy my own insurance. Told them that wasn't an option and I was staying till they came up with something better. The idiot clerk said he didn't put much stock in reports, even after I told him it was written by the VA, the organization HE works for. Don't think I got through. He did talk to surgery and said he would get back to me tomorrow. We'll see. Looks like a long fight ahead.

Maybe you could call the main VA office in DC? Or possibly print out the criteria for bariatric surgery written by the VA and take it to the newspaper and tell them of your plight. Maybe contact the newspapers in Wash DC and tell them whats going on. Bariatric surgery is so accepted now, I think everyone would want to help. This is something you need to save your life. The VA hospital in your city is not doing for you what they should. Your rights are being violated. The VA does pay for bariatric surgery and yet when you are trying to get help, you're getting the run around. The squeeky wheel gets the grease!!!

Good Luck!!!!

I am going to give the local VA a chance to help me but if they continue to stall I have a few plans. Getting a letter written to a local TV station whose on air personality had the surgery and are making a big deal about it on air. Also planning to contact my Senator and get him involved. The is also an appeals process if I'm not satisfied with the first results. THANKS ALL!!

I'm a veteran, also work at a VA hospital. Not every VA offers this especially not the one I work for. That will be the biggest challenge you will come across. Is there any other VA clinics or hospital outside of your immediate area?

I'm having mine done at my MTF since my spouse is still active. VA is impossible to deal with and this is coming from someone who works at one. Good luck.

Cheyenne,
I have written to the VA for that info, should hear back this week. Today I am going to the patient advocates office to file a complaint against the hospital for only treating my obesity in a way that even they say is ineffective and refusing to even discuss the treatment that they say works.

WEIGHT LOSS
For adults with a BMI greater than or equal to 40 kg/m2 there is good evidence from numerous high
quality systematic reviews that bariatric surgery is the only effective therapy for promoting clinically
significant weight loss (ECRI, 2005; Maggard et al., 2005; Shekelle et al., 2004).

Morbidly obese patients (i.e., those with BMI greater than 40) do not usually achieve substantial weight
loss as a result of lifestyle modifications and drug therapy. Only bariatric surgery has been
demonstrated to consistently result in profound and long-term weight loss for the morbidly obese.

You have done your homework really well, now you just have to get someone at the VA (with some authority) to listen to you. I sure hope it works out for you.

Valdis, the biggest challenge is they do not want to do the surgery at all. They do not do it here in Salt Lake but there are other hospitals around the country that do. I found out that they are required to transport me to one and put me up while in town if I'm not actually in the hospital. My weight loss Dr will support me to get the surgery but she is a pharmacist and can not give me a consult. She wants to use my working with her to replace my taking the MOVE class. I see my shrink next week and will ask him for a consult and to give my psyche exam. I learned today I meet all the criteria for the surgery so now all I have to do is get to talk with the surgery dept. I can do the pre-op here by teleconference. I have found plenty of documents online that back up my claim if they want to deny me.

Cheyenne, I got my weight loss Dr to support me for a start. Will see my shrink next Tue. See my post below. Feeling a lot more confident today. All except for the no coffee anymore after my surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!! That might be the hardest part.

valdis, the biggest challenge is they do not want to do the surgery at all. They do not do it here in salt lake but there are other hospitals around the country that do. I found out that they are required to transport me to one and put me up while in town if i'm not actually in the hospital. My weight loss dr will support me to get the surgery but she is a pharmacist and can not give me a consult. She wants to use my working with her to replace my taking the move class. I see my shrink next week and will ask him for a consult and to give my psyche exam. I learned todayi meet all the criteria for the surgery so now all i have to do is get to talk with the surgery dept. I can do the pre-op here by teleconference. I have found plenty of documents online that back up my claim if they want to deny me.

AWESOME.. Absolutely AWESOME!!!!!!

I sent my previous doctor's supervisor the documentation I found online about how the VA itself says eating less and exercising more does not provide long tem results for someone as fat as I am and bariatric surgery is the ONLY thing they say actually works. He called me up and we got into a heated argument. He said he disagreed with what the VA said but didn't want to argue with me. I asked ho why the VA continues to use a treatment that they themselves say doesn't work. He could not answer me. He also said the VA doesn't provide the bariatric surgery even though I gave him proof that they do. He must have one incredible ego. I did get him to put in a consult for the surgery that he claims the VA doesn't do so I can move on to the next step. Got my blood flowing this morning

I sent my previous doctor's supervisor the documentation I found online about how the VA itself says eating less and exercising more does not provide long tem results for someone as fat as I am and bariatric surgery is the ONLY thing they say actually works. He called me up and we got into a heated argument. He said he disagreed with what the VA said but didn't want to argue with me. I asked ho why the VA continues to use a treatment that they themselves say doesn't work. He could not answer me. He also said the VA doesn't provide the bariatric surgery even though I gave him proof that they do. He must have one incredible ego. I did get him to put in a consult for the surgery that he claims the VA doesn't do so I can move on to the next step. Got my blood flowing this morning

Wow!!! You are really up against bureaucracy, aren't you. Who does that supervisor think he is to think his opinion is better than the policies the VA has put into action. I hope you can go over his head!!! Sounds like you have some work ahead of you but you should win because you are right! Good Luck and Stay Strong!!!

Cheyenne

The VA says I have to go through the MOVE program to show me how to lose weight through less eating and more exercise. The same thing the VA says does not work. I have to wait a month or so for the course to start and then it lasts for 6 months. All this just to get to the point where I can start to talk to someone to see if I can start the process to see if I qualify for the surgery. At any time during the qualifying they can end it by saying they don't have the funds. Not sure if I can go through all that. The VA really doesn't give a crap about you once you get out.

I think it might be easier to move mountains. You are persistent and I feel you will win. It is just going to take some time. Are you receiving Medicare? They do pay for the surgery. Just wasn't clear about this. If so, it will be an easier road for you. I know you really want this and if you have to jump through their hoops…jump. In the end you will get what you want. Don't worry about the coffee. After the surgery, you will have a very different life and coffee will just be something you have left behind along with all the unwanted weight. Sending positive energy your way.

Hello OmahaJimmyT,

Geezzz so sorry! I forgot that you were fighting the VA on this one.

It is terrible what you are going through.

Ralph

Back