• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Problems with the Veterans Administration

I just heard from the surgery dept yesterday. They turned me down. No reason, just said no. Even though my Dr and psychaiatrist both backed me up saying I was a good candidate. Even though my Dr said I met all the criteria we found online from the VA. Even though the VA itself said 8 years ago the surgery is the only effective treatment for someone s large as me.
They wouldn't even discuss it with me. I went to the surgery dept last Tue and asked to see the requirements for the surgery and was told that there were none written down. I knew then it was a hopeless cause. The VA doesn't want to cure anyone. They just want to treat people because the more people they treat the more funding they can get. They would rather treat my high BP, diabetes and depression than cure the obesity that is causing them.
I saw in the paper last week that even congress can't get answers from the VA so there is no hope for me.
Yesterday I cancelled all of my appointment with them and tossed all my meds. I'm almost 61 and have already lived longer than I ever thought I would so I'll just sit back and see what happens.

And here I thought you were a fighter !!!

I just heard from the surgery dept yesterday. They turned me down. No reason, just said no. Even though my Dr and psychaiatrist both backed me up saying I was a good candidate. Even though my Dr said I met all the criteria we found online from the VA. Even though the VA itself said 8 years ago the surgery is the only effective treatment for someone s large as me.
They wouldn't even discuss it with me. I went to the surgery dept last Tue and asked to see the requirements for the surgery and was told that there were none written down. I knew then it was a hopeless cause. The VA doesn't want to cure anyone. They just want to treat people because the more people they treat the more funding they can get. They would rather treat my high BP, diabetes and depression than cure the obesity that is causing them.
I saw in the paper last week that even congress can't get answers from the VA so there is no hope for me.
Yesterday I cancelled all of my appointment with them and tossed all my meds. I'm almost 61 and have already lived longer than I ever thought I would so I'll just sit back and see what happens.

Hey, don't give up!

Next steps are:

Write a letter to your Senators and Representatives. Send them a copy of the refusal. If the refusal was verbal get them to write it down. Then send it to your Senators. Also, reference all the materials that you have discovered that the VA already has documented about bariatric surgery and criteria.

copy the letter to your local newspapers.

contact your local TV station that fights issues like this, I would hope you have one.

Write and we will support you all the way in whatever we can do!

I would write to my Senators; maybe that would help.

Publicly embarrass these people.

Don't throw it all away.

Ralph

Right now I am as low as I have ever been. Give me a few days to get things together and maybe I'll feel like fighting again. THX all.

Right now I am as low as I have ever been. Give me a few days to get things together and maybe I'll feel like fighting again. THX all.

Please Jimmy, know that we will all stand with you. Rest a few days and then let us know how we can help. You are our friend, we need to help you fight!!!

Cheyenne

Back