• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Problems with whey protein

Katierna

Help! I've been on a liquid diet for almost 2 weeks now and I've noticed more and more pain in my right kidney, last night was unbearable! Additionally, protein drinks or powder add-ins make me sick to my stomach. I took half an opiod and that helped tremendously. I have since found out that whey protein is really bad for people who are prone to kidney stones - like me.

So, WHAT kind of protein substitute can I take that will accomplish the same needs?

Although I am "obese", the real reason for this is not primarily WLS, it's to correct my severe GERD that isn't responding to medicines. My GERD has gotten progressively worse, and worse. My surgery is in 3 days, and I'd like to know ahead of time what I'll need to do to accomodate this new twist.

I'm having RNY along with hernia surgery. I live alone and seldom have company, but do live in a community.

I want to get this right the FIRST time.

I buy ORGAIN protein powder at Target. It is plant based (no whey). It also does not contain Sucralose, which makes me nauseous. It is made with Stevia. Chocolate peanut butter is my favorite flavor.
Thank you, I'll check it out. I've aalways known these things made me mauseated, but I thought I could get htrough this. BUt with the increase in PS, I've also been in pain. Now I know why.

Thank you, I was going to try egg white protein next.

Help! I've been on a liquid diet for almost 2 weeks now and I've noticed more and more pain in my right kidney, last night was unbearable! Additionally, protein drinks or powder add-ins make me sick to my stomach. I took half an opiod and that helped tremendously. I have since found out that whey protein is really bad for people who are prone to kidney stones - like me.

So, WHAT kind of protein substitute can I take that will accomplish the same needs?

Although I am "obese", the real reason for this is not primarily WLS, it's to correct my severe GERD that isn't responding to medicines. My GERD has gotten progressively worse, and worse. My surgery is in 3 days, and I'd like to know ahead of time what I'll need to do to accomodate this new twist.

I'm having RNY along with hernia surgery. I live alone and seldom have company, but do live in a community.

I want to get this right the FIRST time.
Wow so sorry for your pain! And great job on sticking to your diet! I'm on day 4 of all liquids and DYING lol I'm so miserable

Wow so sorry for your pain! And great job on sticking to your diet! I'm on day 4 of all liquids and DYING lol I'm so miserable
Sf jello, sf Popsicles, could those fool your brain & stomach into thinking you are eating? How about some hot decaf tea with lemon & stevia, etc? We feel your pain. Hang in there, you are almost there, and you are rocking this!!! ❤❤

You can eat anything you want. You're not on a diet. Your digestive system has been drastically altered. I eat everything and I'm 14 years out. It's more important to focus on nutrition and learning to eat right. We've had such a struggle with obesity and contributing factors. So we went surgical, probably our only chance. But the mental battle is constant and must be addressed with genuine sincerity.

I'll eat ice cream or donuts or eggs Benedict. But my portions are small and I eat slowly. Most importantly, I put eating utensils down between bites.

This isn't a diet group. It's a support group where we virtually hug each other with encouragment and shortcuts and praise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022-101742.png
    Screenshot_20211022-101742.png
    429.9 KB · Views: 47
I'm glad you mention gluten. For 50 years I ingested gluten daily, no problem. Then suddenly everyone was freaking out about gluten. I'd love to hear actual stats about gluten intake in people who don't have celiac disease. I'd also love to hear known benefits of gluten in diet. What do we really know?

I was diagnosed as having a sensitivity to gluten when I had allergy testing in 2011. I can eat breads and things but avoid large intake. I had my first full sandwhich Saturday since surgery. It was on the wheat skinny bun from Aldi. It was bacon lettuce and tomato no mayo or butter. It was very good.

Sf jello, sf Popsicles, could those fool your brain & stomach into thinking you are eating? How about some hot decaf tea with lemon & stevia, etc? We feel your pain. Hang in there, you are almost there, and you are rocking this!!! ❤❤
It isn't about being full, it's about getting protein - I literally can't "stomach" that *type of protein. My doc has since put me on egg white protein. More expensive, but at least I can handle it.

Thanks for the support! <3

You can eat anything you want. You're not on a diet. Your digestive system has been drastically altered. I eat everything and I'm 14 years out. It's more important to focus on nutrition and learning to eat right. We've had such a struggle with obesity and contributing factors. So we went surgical, probably our only chance. But the mental battle is constant and must be addressed with genuine sincerity.

I'll eat ice cream or donuts or eggs Benedict. But my portions are small and I eat slowly. Most importantly, I put eating utensils down between bites.

This isn't a diet group. It's a support group where we virtually hug each other with encouragment and shortcuts and praise.
I'm still pre op - so only liquids. But I'm sure looking forward to eating whatever I want (within reason and being healthy). My tummy wants F O O D! LOL!

Back