• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein shake brands?

As mentioned, I found Trader Joe's protein powder helpful, and it was available in vanilla and chocolate. But I made it better by adding about a teaspoon (or even less) of Jell-o Instant pudding, which comes in butterscotch, pistachio, and other flavors that make it so much less boring. It also thickens the mix, which is great, and of course, began with Magic Milk (search group for recipe), so having a protein shake to start my day just fired up my protein grams richly.

I also bought extracts in the baking aisle, like maple, espresso, various liqueurs, candies, fruits like cherries and oranges, etc. and added a small capful to each drink for variety. You can get really creative. I still have a whole bunch of these flavorings in my baking supplies and I have occasionally gone back to a liquid diet when I felt bloated or like I'd gone over a comfortable limit with eating.

You can also add gelatin powder from little packets, just a few crystals at a time, to thicken and expand thin liquids and make gravies that have no fat and are low in carbs.

And do take the time to try out Magic Milk if you haven't done it. It's not like Fairlife, which is milk that somehow has a lot of protein grams but still seems just like milk. It's a whole different taste and texture, but it really provides a fabulous base for anything you wish to add to it. I didn't even mention cream soups here, but if you use MM as a base, you can add clams or clam juice, mashed potato flakes, dried or sauteed onions and other vegetables that have been softened and/or smashed, as well as condensed cream of mushroom, chicken, broccoli, asparagus or potato soup. I can still remember that terrible ache I felt when I was going mad for "normal" food during the liquid and puree phases of the post-op diet. Even being able to sip a few teaspoons of canned cream soup was heaven.

Getting through the liquid-puree-soft foods phases was the hardest thing I ever did, and I'm grateful for that. It really helped me to appreciate all other food stages.

As mentioned, I found Trader Joe's protein powder helpful, and it was available in vanilla and chocolate. But I made it better by adding about a teaspoon (or even less) of Jell-o Instant pudding, which comes in butterscotch, pistachio, and other flavors that make it so much less boring. It also thickens the mix, which is great, and of course, began with Magic Milk (search group for recipe), so having a protein shake to start my day just fired up my protein grams richly.

I also bought extracts in the baking aisle, like maple, espresso, various liqueurs, candies, fruits like cherries and oranges, etc. and added a small capful to each drink for variety. You can get really creative. I still have a whole bunch of these flavorings in my baking supplies and I have occasionally gone back to a liquid diet when I felt bloated or like I'd gone over a comfortable limit with eating.

You can also add gelatin powder from little packets, just a few crystals at a time, to thicken and expand thin liquids and make gravies that have no fat and are low in carbs.

And do take the time to try out Magic Milk if you haven't done it. It's not like Fairlife, which is milk that somehow has a lot of protein grams but still seems just like milk. It's a whole different taste and texture, but it really provides a fabulous base for anything you wish to add to it. I didn't even mention cream soups here, but if you use MM as a base, you can add clams or clam juice, mashed potato flakes, dried or sauteed onions and other vegetables that have been softened and/or smashed, as well as condensed cream of mushroom, chicken, broccoli, asparagus or potato soup. I can still remember that terrible ache I felt when I was going mad for "normal" food during the liquid and puree phases of the post-op diet. Even being able to sip a few teaspoons of canned cream soup was heaven.

Getting through the liquid-puree-soft foods phases was the hardest thing I ever did, and I'm grateful for that. It really helped me to appreciate all other food stages.
Thank you for all that. Very helpful.

liquid-puree-soft foods phase was the hardest thing I ever did
I 100% agree with that Diane, I am almost 6 weeks and the doctor said I am out, I feel like these 2 months were the longest of my life, with no exaggeration, I can only imagine people in jail who eat only 700 calories and I hear is horrible living like that must hell. Like things in life, you need to go thru yourself to understand... I do now!!

Good question, Gordo. Since MRE usually stands for "meals ready to eat" in military culture, I have no idea how it can be "added" to this phase of the post-op diet.

Trek, can you be more specific?
I don't know maybe they're ex-military and they call things like canned soups and frozen meals MRE. I mean technically they are ready to eat. And according to an argument on an episode of "Seinfeld" it can be debated whether or not soup is a meal.

Hey everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. I wanted to reach out to the admin team regarding the possibility of purchasing backlinks for my website. I'm looking to boost its visibility and traffic, and I believe backlinks could really help with that.

I'm willing to pay a fair price for quality backlinks, and I'm open to discussing the details further. Here are a few examples of the kind of links I'm interested in:

Shounen
G?NEROS
indian girls sleeping mms videos

If anyone from the admin team is interested, could you please shoot me a message privately? I'd love to discuss further.

Thanks a bunch!

Back