• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

protein shakes and bars

Okay so I have been told to start taste testing protein shakes and bars. Can someone give me a hint as to some decent tasting brands. I just don't want to spend tons of cash taste testing. Also, do I need more than one flavor of protein:confused: powder. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Costco has some good deals per unit cost. I like their premium brand vanilla shake liquid containers. Vanilla is the most versatile for blending smoothies with fresh fruit (strawberries) and ice, bubble are a problem though. They also have the "Pure Protein bars" again at a reasonable price, 20gr of protein. Prices are competitive with online price but the variety is not like what they have here on this site. But if you don't require a lot of fluff, trending towards the pragmatic, Costco works. I am so sick of chocolate powder, I can't stand to even think about it. Vanilla as I said is more versatile to sprinkle on or in whatever. I think there is a neutral flavor powder you can add to your cooking but I have never tried it. A woman in my live support group says she add it to her family dinners and they never know it. They would turn their noses up if she told them, she says. There you go everything I know less than a hundred sixty and one words. But you should sample before you buy in any quantity.

cheers

i

Personally, I like the Unjury Chocolate Splendor, and the Syntrax nectar Chocolate Truffle. Both are excellent products, and come in many flavors. Syntrax also makes fruity protein drinks. Unjury is an excellent company, and has a 100% refund if you don't like the product. I too tried many things prior to surgery, and loved their chicken soup flavor. After surgery, I couldn't stand the smell of it. When I called to order more chocolate, I mentioned that had happened. They took back both tubs of the chicken soup, even the one that was half gone, and sent me two chocolates to replace them. They also offered to refund my money. Customer service like that goes a long way with me.
Something I did do, was get sample packs. Unjury sells a sample pack, and I got my Syntrax sample pack from www.bjbariatrics.com. These allowed me to see before surgery what things I might like. The downside of trying things ahead of surgery, is that sometimes your tastes will change post-op, like mine did with the chicken soup.
As for protein bars, I'm just not a big fan. A serving size is 1/2 a bar, and personally I want a little more volume for my calories. But that's just me. :)

Unjury and some of the other sites offer some recipes as well so you don't get tired of the same thing all the time. I use the Premium shakes as well as mentioned by Dennis. My Center sells Unjury so I can avoid the shipping costs so I suggest checking with your center for any other suggestions. Walmart sells EAS Advantedge and they come in Four pack so you won't be wasting much if you try them. I use protein bars for in the car when I can't actually get a meal. I try to stick with 20 grams of protein and the lowest carb count I can find. Our nutritionist gave us some good information. She did not approve of boost, ensure, or Atkins products but every center is different. Don't load up on any one kind until after surgery and you know what you still like because tastes do change. The vanilla or unflavored are good choices to use in smoothies. Good luck on your journey.

Back