• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein shakes

I know my first 7 days I was told to drink Clear Protein Shakes, so I ordered those on Amazon. After that I can drink the thicker kind. I'm using Protein Premiere. I'm not getting nauseous with that brand so I'm sticking to that brand.

I was told I was told for the first week, clear liquids only. The second week you can have liquids that aren't clear, that is you can't see through them. You should have a staged diet in writing that you got as part of your surgical package. I would not drink a protein shake until I was in my soft food stage.

The surgery is a tool, but the post-op eating plan is the blueprint and following instructions is the house you're building. It's essential to follow the guidance from your medical team.

I was told something slightly different. I am allowed to drink any protein shake as long as it has at least 20g of protein and less than 15g of carbs. I currently use a powder that has 30g protein and 3g carbs. My favorite drink is a "frappuccino" that I make using a very light decaf coffee, a little oat milk, two scoops (1 serving) of vanilla creme protein power, and a few ice cubes. I blend it together and it makes an incredible drink that reminds me of Starbucks but is very low in carbs and high in protein. It's my favorite.

I just realized that RNY and VSG may vary slightly in the post op diet, I'm not sure what you had. I had a VSG on July 16th.

Last night was the worst ever. I threw up 4 times and had the worst pains in my stomach!!!. I feel like I took 2 steps back as I'm scared to put anything in my mouth today. I dont know what I did to get so sick. I had 90grams of protein, 40oz of water, a half jello and popsicle. All which I'm able to have. I feel fine now just so tired cause I didnt sleep at all and my tummy feels a tad off nothing like it did. I dont even want to take my vitamin today cause it makes me nauseous just thinking about it. I have yet to have a stool movement either so idk. I'm following everything as I was told. :(

Sorry to hear this. Did your Dr. prescribe you nausea medicine? I have yet to take mine. The hospital put a patch on me and I am not taking it off!! I have yet to experience this. Are you taking 15 minute breaks between each 2oz sip/swallow? I am on day 6 and haven't had a bowel for 6 days, so I took a suppository and it worked.

I had the nausea patch on and took the nausea medicine once since I've been home. I really think I just over did it at the end of the night with taking alle meds and vitamins and protein shake too soon. Bit my god that pain was unbearable. My throat hurts a little from throwing up but I feel ok today I think around 3 I'm gonna a sip some shake and try to get back on track. Just very tired since I was literally up all night . My mom bought milk of magnesium, that I'll prolly take tomorrow if nothing happens. Fun stuff lol

If you haven't taken the milk of magnesia yet, I think you should not take it. I think you should call your doctor about what you should be doing right now. One thing I know for sure is that you should not be putting anything into your body that isn't on your list. And you shouldn't be adding more things to your body if you are feeling nauseated.

Everything that's happening is part of the process. There isn't any real normal that you can look at and decide that there's nothing to worry about. Just take it really easy let's move. It's not a race and you don't have to get every ounce of everything into your body if it makes you feel sick to take that much in.

Call your doctor to confirm everything before you do anything different. You're going to be okay but it just takes a while. You had your plumbing completely rerouted. You're not going to just get up and play hopscotch.

Back