• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein Shakes?

I'm a newbie to this site, my name is Rhonda. I have had problems with weight since i can remember. I wasn't huge growing up but after having 5 children I even lost back down around a 100lbs 3 different times in my life. With age, I'm 55yo now and had a total hysterotomy back in 2000 or so and have gradually gained up to more than I have ever weighed in my life. I can hardly walk due to back and leg problems, so on and so on. My currant weight is 282lbs and its killing me slowly and painfully. I am on track for the gastric bypass surgery hopefully before the end of the year. Now for my question, can I please get some good protein shake/drink ideas? I'm not having a problem finding one I can actually swallow, but they tend to make me feel nauseated. Has anyone else had this problem and found a drink that doesn't cause the nausea? Thanks so much.
PS..I am going to my dietician this Monday the 24th of August.

Welcome! I use Gold Standard Whey. It’s good, easy to drink, plus since it’s in powder form it’s less expensive and easier to water down. I also got a very delicious protein, Protein20 tropical coconut flavored. It’s slightly chalky, but I actually don’t mind it. The only thing is that its just at the 2:1 protein to carbs ratio with 15g of protein and 7g of carbs. The protein powder has 24g of protein and 3g of carbs, so it’s a lot better on the ratio.

I'm a newbie to this site, my name is Rhonda.

Welcome Rhonda. You've found your way to a great board. We have great resources also because our sponsor sells some really good WLS products and we have years worth of back posts that can be searched for any topic. I've spent a lot of time "in the stacks" myself.

My bypass surgery is Tuesday morning. 5:45 check-in and I'm an hour's drive away from hospital. I started my journey last fall with covid and a personal tragedy delaying my surgery. I am in the middle of my pre-op diet which is turning out to be not too bad. just not enough food since I am very active.

I make my own shakes with protein whey powder, some fruit and a lot of veggies. I don't like milk but I'm putting up with skim milk in the shakes. I have found several great products that are premade including a clear drink with 20 grams of protein. My favorite shake brand is Premium Protein. I started by ordering a brand's sampler to see if there were any I liked. Premier Protein won, pre-surgery. Ours tastes change after surgery so I have no idea what will taste good. I just know that everything is too sweet. I do look for 20/5 protein to sugar.

Welcome Rhonda. You've found your way to a great board. We have great resources also because our sponsor sells some really good WLS products and we have years worth of back posts that can be searched for any topic. I've spent a lot of time "in the stacks" myself.

My bypass surgery is Tuesday morning. 5:45 check-in and I'm an hour's drive away from hospital. I started my journey last fall with covid and a personal tragedy delaying my surgery. I am in the middle of my pre-op diet which is turning out to be not too bad. just not enough food since I am very active.

I make my own shakes with protein whey powder, some fruit and a lot of veggies. I don't like milk but I'm putting up with skim milk in the shakes. I have found several great products that are premade including a clear drink with 20 grams of protein. My favorite shake brand is Premium Protein. I started by ordering a brand's sampler to see if there were any I liked. Premier Protein won, pre-surgery. Ours tastes change after surgery so I have no idea what will taste good. I just know that everything is too sweet. I do look for 20/5 protein to sugar.

Thanks so very much for your response. I'm so excited for you. I know it is just the beginning of your/our journey to a new healthier way of life. I'm sending prayers for a safe trip and speedy recovery. Please keep me posted.

Welcome! I use Gold Standard Whey. It’s good, easy to drink, plus since it’s in powder form it’s less expensive and easier to water down. I also got a very delicious protein, Protein20 tropical coconut flavored. It’s slightly chalky, but I actually don’t mind it. The only thing is that its just at the 2:1 protein to carbs ratio with 15g of protein and 7g of carbs. The protein powder has 24g of protein and 3g of carbs, so it’s a lot better on the ratio.

I have been doing some research on the PC here, but of course we can't smell or taste thru it. I ran across a brand called Ghost, not sure if you've heard of that one? Anyway, sounds like that might be one I for sure want to try as well. Thanks so very much for your response, Ive got to find something that I can at least stomach..

Back