• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein

What is the best protein to eat
Hi Pookie! The answer to your question depends on where you are after your surgery. If you just had surgery you need to stick with protein shakes and bone broth. If you are a few weeks out you would be eating canned tuna or cottage cheese. After 4 to 6 weeks after your operation, you would be trying various meats and cheeses. All of this depends on where you are post surgery and what your doctor advises.

Hi Pookie! The answer to your question depends on where you are after your surgery. If you just had surgery you need to stick with protein shakes and bone broth. If you are a few weeks out you would be eating canned tuna or cottage cheese. After 4 to 6 weeks after your operation, you would be trying various meats and cheeses. All of this depends on where you are post surgery and what your doctor advises.
I’m on a regular diet

Tex gave you some good advice. But if you are past all your dietary restrictions and now you are at the regular food stage, you should actually be studying this. You need to know for your own self, every time you go out, every time somebody offers to feed you, every restaurant menu, you need to be able to make the best choice. It wouldn't do any good for us to give you a top 10 list. There is protein to be found everywhere, including broccoli. I was eating some Ezekiel Bread the other day and I noticed it had four grams of protein per slice.

The best protein is the one you like the most. It's the one you will eat most often in order to obtain your protein goal. You should have a dietitian or nutritionist who can give you pages and pages of information about protein. That is part of the bariatric surgery deal. Doctors can't rearrange your guts and then send you on your way without an owner's manual so you can take care of it.

All bariatric surgical procedures are based on the principle of malabsorption. This means your body cannot take in enough vitamins and minerals or calories in a single meal, in a single day. Malabsorption can lead to malnutrition if you don't concentrate your eating pattern.

You'll do just as well, if not better, doing an internet search asking for information about protein grams in food items. You can print this out or send it to your phone and you will always have that information at hand.

You need to be well-informed and you need to be following a dietary plan or you will get sick and possibly die. It's not a little thing. You should learn this stuff right away.

When I clicked on this resource a few months ago, I did not understand the point of it. It irritated me that it seemed like this was something people would do post-operatively in order to see if their pouch actually works, because there's no information about when it is supposed to be used. I'm probably the last person in the world knows that the five day pouch test has been circulating on the internet from long ago, and that it is not designed to be used immediately post-op, but down the line when you are fully healed.

I'm still not completely sure how and when you are supposed to do this, but I have read from people here that it is used as a reset, especially if you have strayed from your healthy diet.

Today I noticed that it was mostly protein. So I thought I would post it here in case it would be of any value to our newby, Pookie.

Back