• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Proteins to live by

lacey

I looked through the 6 pages of threads and didn't find any titled proteins. What better way for us to be able to quickly find and share what we like and don't like. I am not a picky eater, but I kind of am. I do not like gritty foods. I do not care for a product that does not easily dissolve.
Also, proteins as with ground chicken, Maybe people have different ways of preparing it that adds no extra fat to the meat. I am all about the trying new things before my surgery. I want to know what my options will be.
I have tried Atkins Chocolate shake. It has 15grams of protein and was yummy.
I have had Unjury Choc splendor and Strawberry sorbet ....yummy. Both of those I can do with water, or 3oz milk and 5oz water.
I used the unflavored protein from Unjury to make sugar free pudding. I used 1 cup milk and 1 cup water. It didn't get as firm as with 2 cups of milk, but it was yummy.
I did not like the Unjury chicken flavor nor the Unjury vanilla. Both of those were just blah. No party in my mouth.

Ground chicken. The very leanest that we can purchase can be flavorless. Adding 1/2 an onion, minced and 1 tbsp. thai seasoning, along with 1 egg white to a pound of ground chicken can actually improve the taste quite a good deal. It makes 4 - 1/4lb burgers and doesn't add fat.

I have only just begun this journey as have many others. But so many of you with protein experience please speak up. ;)

I would love to get some input from others on what you find yummy and not so yummy. Lacey

Hi Lacey I use unjury unflavored protein and add it to oatmeal, yogurt and soup. I have sensitivity to anything with artificial flavoring. In the beginning it was all protein powder. As time went on, yogurt and fish. I still eat mostly fish and season with a yogurt dill sauce as well as ginger and garlic. I do turkey burgers and use a tsp of flavored hummus for flavor. When I do chicken, it is usually as a soup. Tumeric and others seasoning make it yummy. In the beginning it is easier to get the chicken down if it is soft. I tend to eat the same thing a lot. If I am short on protein, I will eat an egg white or nonfat plain yogurt. The recipe section has more creative ideas. Pat sounds like a great cook.

Thanks Kim, I will check out the recipe section. I am really trying to get a feel for the proteins... pre surgery. Last thing that I want is to wait till the last minute and then buy something that I don't like.
Today I tried the syntrax roadside lemonade flavor ( I think I spelled that correct), I mixed it with sugar free crystal light lemonade. That was mighty lemony. I did enjoy that.
No one has really explained to me what is going to happen as far as protein liquids when surgery time comes. That is because I am still waiting for my approval from the insurance company.
I do really like the fact that the protein, once mixed with water, is so filling. I have eaten only 2 times in 5 days. This is really making me consider my previous, glorious years when I lived as a devout vegetarian. So many plusses to that life style. My weight was always in check. I always had tons of energy and I loved living life. Sometimes the things that we give up to make a spouse happy.....but hey...what can you do.
Onward we go....on the search for the perfect protein powders that wont gag the crap out us! Lacey.

Lacey,

I only have one comment to make and that is to be careful and not accumulate large amounts of most things before surgery because your tastes might change. As for protein, I really like thinly sliced ham, and I really enjoy most baked fish. I find them both easy to eat and quite satisfying. I use a fat free dressing brushed on the fish. It is quick, filled with protein, and easy to fix. Sometimes I tolerate tuna and chicken and sometimes it makes me sick. Don't know why unless maybe I am eating too fast. It is important to remember to chew your food and don't drink with your meal. It is a whole new way of life. Joy

Back