• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protien bars

I haven't made any bars, so to speak, I usually just experiment with protein powder in baked things like muffins and such to have in place of bars. Success varies, but it is fun trying. Some of the protein bar recipes I've seen have fairly high carbs too, but I did find a couple no-bake type that were pretty low that I might try. Heck, I'll make some this weekend and if they turn out I'll share them here. :)

I eat power crunch protein bars, I eat one daily to meet my protein quota. They come in some great flavors and they are very easy to digest. They are not heavy, they are more like a wafer. I like red velvet best. I treat them as one of my small meals and it works for me.

I dont like standard protein bars as they are so dry, was hoping to find things that are more the consistency of a granola bar
Power crunch are not like a standard protein bar, they are more like a wafer and easy to digest. I’ve tried lots of different varieties and they are the best I have found so far. I find the others hard to swallow.

I am starting to doubt the value of prepackaged protein bars due to the level of processing and ingredients many of them have, which is why I've started making my own protein snacks instead. Many have artificial sweeteners in them to, which have been proven to increase hunger. However, many people can manage with those bars just fine. My plans to try to make some was derailed this weekend, but I'll try soon. I did make some protein banana bread that turned out pretty well, though. :)

I am starting to doubt the value of prepackaged protein bars due to the level of processing and ingredients many of them have, which is why I've started making my own protein snacks instead. Many have artificial sweeteners in them to, which have been proven to increase hunger. However, many people can manage with those bars just fine. My plans to try to make some was derailed this weekend, but I'll try soon. I did make some protein banana bread that turned out pretty well, though. :)

I made apple cinnimon muffins this weekend and snuck 2 cups of the unflavored unjury protein powder in them. I made them in my mini muffin pan which makes them perfect size for what I can eat and perfect size for my kids who happen to love them. They don't even notice the protein.

How much protein did you add? That sounds really good!
One scoop of unflavored Isopure protein. I used whole wheat flour and a bit of maple syrup for sweetening. It is not a very sweet banana bread at all, but it's great with a cup of coffee. Don't expect this to be as sweet as regular banana bread, but it is still a treat that needs to be eaten in great moderation as it isn't low calorie or low carb and the protein increase is modest.

I made that and a regular banana bread for my wife and daughter so we could all have a treat. My wife really liked my less sweet version. I limit myself to one smallish slice a day. It improves if you can let it sit a day. It's about 180 calories per 3/4" thick slice - give or take, with 8g protein, so it's not a protein bar replacement...it is a treat.

The recipe:
  • 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cup mashed banana)
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (vanilla would be okay)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 scoop unflavored protein powder (vanilla would probably be okay, but it would probably have sweetener)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled (you can also use olive oil or melted and cooled coconut oil but I prefer butter)
  • Optional: some dark chocolate chips, walnuts, etc could be added in and would be tasty, but also added calories, of course.
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Get an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch pan and grease the inside of the pan to prevent sticking.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the mashed banana, eggs, maple syrup, greek yogurt and vanilla extract to a bowl until well combined.
  3. In another large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
  4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix!
  5. Next, mix in the melted and cooled butter (or coconut oil).
  6. Add banana bread batter into prepared pan.
  7. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Allow bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
  8. Slice and enjoy in moderation.

One scoop of unflavored Isopure protein. I used whole wheat flour and a bit of maple syrup for sweetening. It is not a very sweet banana bread at all, but it's great with a cup of coffee. Don't expect this to be as sweet as regular banana bread, but it is still a treat that needs to be eaten in great moderation as it isn't low calorie or low carb and the protein increase is modest.

I made that and a regular banana bread for my wife and daughter so we could all have a treat. My wife really liked my less sweet version. I limit myself to one smallish slice a day. It improves if you can let it sit a day. It's about 180 calories per 3/4" thick slice - give or take, with 8g protein, so it's not a protein bar replacement...it is a treat.

Thanks Ryan! I've added the recipe to my recipe saver "Copy Me That". I like that it isn't as sweet as I've really gotten to tame my sweet tooth down. It's nice to have a treat now and then. I would probably freeze a good portion of it for later use and make my husband my regular banana bread recipe which I make in my instant pot.

Oh, oh! Could I get that from you??

Sure! Here is the link:

Back