• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pureed Meat

I tried one last time today to try and eat some pureed Meat. I can't do it! The texture, plus the taste when I eat it gives me the "willies"! I have tried mixing it with soups and even mashed potatoes....but nothing can hide it. I am thinking of trying to eat some just cut up, slowly and chewing of course. Any other ideas? I have 2 more weeks of the pureed diet, and am doing so well, I guess I could ask my dietician....

I would ask the dietician. I don't think you should be trying to eat that yet. I had my surgery on 4/19 and I am still on the pureed food too. I can handle the pureed chicken and tuna but not meat yet. I am just going to wait until I am allowed to move onto the next stage and stick with things that don't bother me until then.

I could only tolerate the taste and texture of pureed canned tuna, canned chicken and mashed hard boiled eggs all with a little lite mayo. I was also able to tolerate cottage cheese smashed into tiny pieces with a fork, pea and bean soup and refried beans mashed up even more. Then after 2 weeks of pureed foods I tried a mosit scrambled egg and it worked out OK. I'm about 11 weeks out and I still can't eat meat unless it's ground up and / or cooked until it's very soft and moist. The exceptions are thin sliced lean ham and turkey lunchmeats, chewed very well. I make homemade soups with lots of well cooked veggies and a little bit of meat (lean ground beef or tiny diced ham) and supplement my protein with a shake because my food doesn't give me enough protein. I still can't eat a hard boiled egg unless it has some lite mayo mixed in and smashed real well. When I had a follow up visit with the nutritionist last week she told me this is pretty normal and that most people who have gastric bypass take a while to progress through the different phases of the meal plans. She said it could take me 6 months to be able to eat "normal" foods and still have to chew, chew, chew.

Hi everyone! Wow, reading everyone's comments are great! I think I did fairly good today. I may have given into temptation a few times, but got right back on track when I came to my senses. I started off today with a protein shake, made with 2% milk. I drank plenty of liquids and very little regular food. I had white albacore tuna at lunch on 100% whole wheat bread, I passed up steak tonight and drank some beef broth. I did eat 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes and a little bit of rice. I even managed to hold out 40 minutes before drinking after dinner. The only temptations I gave into was 1 poptart, and a few m&m's. Looking forward to round 2 tomorrow. I am going to try and shoot for more liquids and maybe I can get some more broth at the store. I figured up everything and it was around 800 calories give or take. And I don't know when I was supposed to do that, as I see many of you saying that you had to lose a little before surgery and had to do like 800 calories. Is the normal protocol?

Hi Nana, your doing great, I don't think I was on an 800 calorie diet, mine was around 1200 calories if I remember correctly, I was lucky to stay near 1500:rolleyes:, I think was used to 2500 to 3000 calories a day. I didn't really cut down my calories until I went on the one week protien meal plan, I was so glad that week was over. Keep up the good work. :cool: Tom

Nana, It seems each surgeon has a different protocol when it comes to pre-surgical diets. They can vary from 1 month to 1 week to only 2 days. They can consists of all liquids, partial liquids, soft foods or all protein drinks. Some don't require anything more than a 2 day diet with a 24 hour fast of clear liquids and nothing by mouth after midnight the night before surgery. I'm sure if you call and ask that you can find out what the requirements are for you.

I see the surgeon on Thursday, so I will just wait till that day. I started making my list, but right now I just can't think of anything that I need to ask. What kind of questions did you all ask when you met up with your surgeon prior to surgery?

Last night I thought I would be hungry after dinner, but surprisingly I wasn't hungry at all. Also...did anyone have trouble remembering to take your supplements at a certain time? I have regular meds that I take daily, but sometimes I forget to take them in the morning, so I am trying to find a good way to remember.:rolleyes:

Nana, Try putting all of you RX meds and supplements into one of those plastic pill containers that have a compartment for each day of the week. I have several of them because not all of my daily meds will fit into one compartment. Get enough pill containers to cover both morning and evening pills.

A lot of questions were answered by the material that was reviewed during orientation. Even so, I had a list of at least 10 questions but I can't remember most of them. Here is what I remember asking the surgeon: how will my pain be controlled while in the hospital and once I'm home, how long will I be in the hospital, can I have a "trapeze bar" above the hospital bed so I can get in and out of bed easier, will you be able to do the surgery laproscopically or will it be open.

Thanks for the input Pat. Most of those same questions were in the papers I downloaded from my surgeon's website. I don't have a problem taking my evening meds, it's usually the morning ones I forget. I bought a dry erase board for my room that way I can keep track of my protein and meds and fluids and stuff I'm hoping that will help. I had some pill boxes, but they have gotten broken so I need some new ones. I also need to get a pill crusher because I don't think I can get my medications in liquid form at all.

Back