• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

question about yo yo dieting....

jess1217

I'm having bypass done in a month or so, but having some second thoughts....
I'm a yo-yo dieter, lose weight then gain it back, or get bored and easily wander off the diet plan. So, with this in mind, is bariatric surgery not for me? Thoughts and comments welcome!

Jessica

Bariactic surgery is a weight loss tool, not a miracle cure. Your stomach will be the size of an egg which will restrict the portion size that you can eat at one time. This being said, you will lose weight. As time goes by it is possible to stretch out your egg sized stomach and therefore consume more food. The purpose of the surgery is to teach you new and healthier eating habits so that you no longer want to overeat. The choice of how you end up eating after surgery is up to you. If you follow the meal plan guidelines given to you by the nutritionist you will lose weight and keep it off. Once you see how easy it is I'm sure you will be successful Jessica.

We are all here to support you :)

HI Jess1217

I think alot of us have faced the "yo yo dieting" we've tried many a diet and as you said, eventually gained it back. But Like Pat said" if we follow the diet plan of healthy eating" we will loose weight and be able to keep it off. I have known of people whom over one or two years over ate and stretched out there pouch and gained over 100 lbs. but if we go through all of this to get to a healthier us, I think most people do whatever it takes to keep those pounds from comming back, the thought of being "healthier and much thinner" I think those thoughts will overrule the desire to gain any of it back.
I think we will still have to fight with the idea's of eating foods we used to enjoy for taste and comfort,. but there is s chef online whom had bariatric surgery."worldaccordingtoeggface.com she has pages of idea's reciepes to help other 's out, check her site out.
I hope you deciede what works best for you, and if you have the surgery please come back and share your thoughts, I get to see surgeon for first time next week, I am anxious to get my surgery over with and start my new journey.I understand your feelings of wondering should I do this and wondering about food and weight gain too, for I have those thoughts alot, I quess the closer it gets to surgery time our minds just dwell on those things.
there are so many people on here whom share there success stories and the issues they have dealt with since the surgery, there's endless info. on here.
hope things work out well for you.
DOnna

Hi Jessica, I think we all have second thoughts to having this surgery especially the closer we get, it is normal to feel this way. Pat and Donna are spot on with their posts. This is only a tool to help us become healthier and with that comes more energy, better self image and feeling a little happier with ourselves. I too was a yo yo dieter and now I don't even like the word diet I prefer meal plan and try to only say diet when refering to our pre/post surgery liquid diets. After the surgey we are forced to change all our old habits and it starts retraining us to eat smarter heathier foods and portions. I am sure you had thought a long time about this and gathered as much information as you could and did not make this descision lightly, so you may be having cold feet, but you know deep in your heart what is right for you. Good luck and let us know what you decide. :cool: Tom

Back