• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question for anybody????

Luvstotalk62

I was just diagnosed as being very very anemic. My hemoglobin count is 9. It has been continually dropping for a year now. Was just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem and do you think it is just because we don't eat as well as other people do? I'm 8 yrs. out from my surgery and initially lost 158 lbs. gained back the 50 and have maintained with a weight loss of 108 for 6 yrs, now.:confused:

I was just diagnosed as being very very anemic. My hemoglobin count is 9. It has been continually dropping for a year now. Was just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem and do you think it is just because we don't eat as well as other people do? I'm 8 yrs. out from my surgery and initially lost 158 lbs. gained back the 50 and have maintained with a weight loss of 108 for 6 yrs, now.:confused:

wow.

That is a very low number. I know. My wife had internal bleeding as a result of nsaids and required transfusions. She had dropped to below 9 like 8 or 7. It can be dangerous.

Obviously, you are seeing a hematologist; if not you should. Anything from transfusions, to iron infusions to iron supplements are all probably necessary at this point for you. You should question whether or not you have internal bleeding or not.

If this is simply nutritional deficiency your hematologist can get you back on track with some combination of the above treatments. I know my wife is on Ferrex now and the ulcer that did develop is healing and her counts are going back up.

Good luck,

Ralph

When is the last time you had a follow up with your surgeon?

Have you had any GI tests to check things out?

Are you taking an elemental iron supplement?

Have you had any GI symptoms? Like Ralph said ulcers can and will create havoc..

Please get things checked out...

Back