• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question for those who have had gastric bypass

MzSamT

I am scheduled to have my bypass surgery on May 10th. My son and his fiance have decided to get married on the 13th. Having been thru the surgery, would you still have the surgery on the 10th or would you reschedule?

I haven't had mine yet, but I was told you would be in the hospital 1-3 days for surgery. If you are out of the hospital in time, I would make sure you don't have any major responsibilities for the wedding. You'll want to rest and enjoy it! Good luck

I had my surgery on the 22nd, no complications thankfully. Stayed 1 night at the hospital. I don't think I would have been ready to go to a wedding that soon, though. I didn't 'eat' till about 5 days after surgery, so I was really low on energy. If it were me, I would reschedule for after the wedding.

I had my surgery on the 22nd, no complications thankfully. Stayed 1 night at the hospital. I don't think I would have been ready to go to a wedding that soon, though. I didn't 'eat' till about 5 days after surgery, so I was really low on energy. If it were me, I would reschedule for after the wedding.
Thanks... I'm thinking about doing that. Unfortunately, if I postpone it I won't be able to have it until sometime in June.

I am scheduled to have my bypass surgery on May 10th. My son and his fiance have decided to get married on the 13th. Having been thru the surgery, would you still have the surgery on the 10th or would you reschedule?
That is a hard question... It all depends on how you feel and how long the doc keeps you in the hospital... I was out the next day, with the pain meds I was good 2 days later. If I had a wedding to go to I would have gone.. problem is there are some people in for 2-4 days if they are dehydrated or not toleratting fluids. Its better to be safe then sorry. Reschedule and ask to be put on the cancellation list... to get in earlier... Hope that helps if you haven't already figured thing out

That is a hard question... It all depends on how you feel and how long the doc keeps you in the hospital... I was out the next day, with the pain meds I was good 2 days later. If I had a wedding to go to I would have gone.. problem is there are some people in for 2-4 days if they are dehydrated or not toleratting fluids. Its better to be safe then sorry. Reschedule and ask to be put on the cancellation list... to get in earlier... Hope that helps if you haven't already figured thing out
Thanks....

I would postpone until June or call the surgeon and tell him about your delema and maybe he can squeeze you in earlier, it's worth a shot
Thanks... I would be able to get it sooner except that the Dr will be out for most of April. I'm going to call and talk to his scheduled tomorrow and see if waiting until June is a possibility.

You hav
e your answer, but just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I stayed in the hospital overnight. Took 4 days before I felt anywhere near alive. After that I felt great. Hope you don't have to wait too long to have it rescheduled.

Thanks... I'm thinking about doing that. Unfortunately, if I postpone it I won't be able to have it until sometime in June.
Enjoy the wedding and then plan the surgery. You have spent a lifetime to get to this point where you decided to do the surgery. Another 2 months will not matter.

Enjoy the wedding.

Also, most surgeries go well and you are home the day after. But, you don't want to chance having a complication and then this would upset everyone and the wedding.

Back