• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question

Smalldog

It has been 8 months post-op for me. I am a male 5' 11 ", starting weight 334 #s, I lost 102 pounds as of April 3rd. My question is has anybody else lost strength, muscle, where you were weak, maybe had a hard time climbing steps. I am now in physical therapy trying to regain my strength to climb stairs, get in my truck, or even getting off the floor is a struggle. I function fine, walking, and as long as I am on my feet.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Thanks

I’m having troubles with being tired, and I go for blood work today to test my vitamins. Have you consistently been getting your protein? This was a major stress point that my surgeons office made before my surgery. I’d say I’m sure I’ve lost some muscle mass based on certain areas of my body that are getting sore faster just based on the fact that I didn’t use them much for the first few months after surgery. My back and arms are more of a problem than my legs though. Hope PT helps!

I have gotten excellent blood work back and while I am not tired, I am much weaker than I used to be. I am sure this is due to the fact that when you lose weight this fast, it's not just fat but muscle you lose as well. The protein does help to maintain muscle so really be sure you are getting the correct amount. I am going to have to start lifting some weights or something.

I have only lost 67-70 pounds but ha e lost a lot of muscle. I didn't realize how much until I started doing things that I used to be able to do and no longer can. I struggle with energy at times...I will have plenty for a long time and then will crash randomly for a period of time, but its much more energy then I used to have.

I have only lost 67-70 pounds but ha e lost a lot of muscle. I didn't realize how much until I started doing things that I used to be able to do and no longer can. I struggle with energy at times...I will have plenty for a long time and then will crash randomly for a period of time, but its much more energy then I used to have.
This is how I am. My endocrinologist suggested starting with some hand weights. I think between that and resistance bands, I’ll have a good beginning, but first I have to be motivated enough to start LOL That’s my biggest struggle right now.

I don't think what you are experiencing is unusual. I started feeling awkward and a little weak, so I started physical therapy to retrain my body. I realize that I'm still moving like an obese person, and I don't feel confident in how I get from here to there sometimes. I think for some people the massive weight loss can be a little disorienting on our bodies, and we sort of have to relearn how to control our movements properly without injuring ourselves, etc. I felt different enough that I wanted to make sure I was doing exercises correctly, working the best muscle groups, and improve my flexibility, so physical therapy has been helping with that. I go twice a week and have "homework" on other days.

Working in resistance exercise is important to maintain muscle mass while you are losing weight and to maintain it afterward. When you are losing weight and ideal ratio of 3:1 (or better) fat to muscle loss is preferred. I would recommend getting scheduled with a physical therapist regularly to start building muscle, or at least decrease loss while you are still losing weight. Our bodies will pull energy from any source it has, and that includes fat and muscle. Resistance exercise also helps stabilize your body and avoid injury, and it helps keep your metabolism running well.

It has been 8 months post-op for me. I am a male 5' 11 ", starting weight 334 #s, I lost 102 pounds as of April 3rd. My question is has anybody else lost strength, muscle, where you were weak, maybe had a hard time climbing steps.
Congrats on your phenomenal weight loss.

Yeah, everyone has challenges after the surgery. A lot of people in my life think this kind of surgery is cheating, taking the easy way out. But we know it's incredibly hard and makes life difficult in so many ways.

I didn't want their judgment so I didn't tell them. Only my son and best friend know. I had some mobility problems and I joined the YMCA. I cobbled together some physical problem with a new interest in hiking.

It took me a long time, but eventually I didn't have any trouble with physical exertion.

Go easy on yourself and revel in your amazing successes! You'll be climbing steps again, but you'll never be overweight again. Give yourself time, and a big pat on the back. You are amazing!

I’m having troubles with being tired, and I go for blood work today to test my vitamins. Have you consistently been getting your protein? This was a major stress point that my surgeons office made before my surgery. I’d say I’m sure I’ve lost some muscle mass based on certain areas of my body that are getting sore faster just based on the fact that I didn’t use them much for the first few months after surgery. My back and arms are more of a problem than my legs though. Hope PT helps!
Off to my second PT visit. I have been good about getting my protein in daily and drinking my fluids. Thanks for sharing,I will keep you posted while on this journey.

I have gotten excellent blood work back and while I am not tired, I am much weaker than I used to be. I am sure this is due to the fact that when you lose weight this fast, it's not just fat but muscle you lose as well. The protein does help to maintain muscle so really be sure you are getting the correct amount. I am going to have to start lifting some weights or something.
I am much weaker, seem to hit me fast,I went down to the ground in public and need help from strangers to get to my feet. Once on my feet, I am ok.

Good news on the weight loss, I do understand. My doctor just focused on me exercising and weight loss which I did. Talk nothing about losing my muscle and what may be ahead.

This is how I am. My endocrinologist suggested starting with some hand weights. I think between that and resistance bands, I’ll have a good beginning, but first I have to be motivated enough to start LOL That’s my biggest struggle right now.
Let me be a friend and say get busy, keep me posted as I will. I have bands here that I work with and going to PT twice a week. The therapist wants to be aggressive. Good luck

I don't think what you are experiencing is unusual. I started feeling awkward and a little weak, so I started physical therapy to retrain my body. I realize that I'm still moving like an obese person, and I don't feel confident in how I get from here to there sometimes. I think for some people the massive weight loss can be a little disorienting on our bodies, and we sort of have to relearn how to control our movements properly without injuring ourselves, etc. I felt different enough that I wanted to make sure I was doing exercises correctly, working the best muscle groups, and improve my flexibility, so physical therapy has been helping with that. I go twice a week and have "homework" on other days.

Working in resistance exercise is important to maintain muscle mass while you are losing weight and to maintain it afterward. When you are losing weight and ideal ratio of 3:1 (or better) fat to muscle loss is preferred. I would recommend getting scheduled with a physical therapist regularly to start building muscle, or at least decrease loss while you are still losing weight. Our bodies will pull energy from any source it has, and that includes fat and muscle. Resistance exercise also helps stabilize your body and avoid injury, and it helps keep your metabolism running well.
Thank you, I just started PT 2x a week and have homework as you say. I am hopeful that the PT helps to make me feel normal and that my body goes along with it.. Thanks for the encouragement and I will post on my new journey.

Congrats on your phenomenal weight loss.

Yeah, everyone has challenges after the surgery. A lot of people in my life think this kind of surgery is cheating, taking the easy way out. But we know it's incredibly hard and makes life difficult in so many ways.

I didn't want their judgment so I didn't tell them. Only my son and best friend know. I had some mobility problems and I joined the YMCA. I cobbled together some physical problem with a new interest in hiking.

It took me a long time, but eventually I didn't have any trouble with physical exertion.

Go easy on yourself and revel in your amazing successes! You'll be climbing steps again, but you'll never be overweight again. Give yourself time, and a big pat on the back. You are amazing!
Thanks, I am proud of my weight loss, It was not easy. I will stay active, do my band exercising and go to PT. Disappointed in my doctor that he was not ahead on this, what I am going through.

Let me be a friend and say get busy, keep me posted as I will. I have bands here that I work with and going to PT twice a week. The therapist wants to be aggressive. Good luck
Thank you! I went on a long walk with my kids yesterday and today we’re hiking. But I really need to get into the weights. Just not my favorite LOL

Back