• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Questions For Those Who Had Surgery Months-Years Ago

mmccarty

I am 6 weeks post opp and I have a couple questions about my body/diet.

What lotion are you using to help your skin bounce back from weight loss?

I had my surgery laparoscopically. Where the largest incision is (where I had the most pain and problems), it is pitted/indented. Did you have this? If so, did it go away?

Are your scars noticable now?

Now that you are so far out from surgery. Can you eat little bits of foods like pizza?

Thank you!

Mmccarty-I think your best bet is to stay hydrated. Lotions only do so much good and their results are temporary at best. Also, the amount of excess skin we end up after weight loss is inherent and we can't do much about it short or surgery. Exercise will help firm things up but is not a cure all.

The indentation you see is probably from the surgeon having to remove some fat. It should fill back in but this will take a while.

I had my surgey over 9 months ago and my scars are visable, although very small. Based on their location they aren't that noticable. And to anyone who ends up wearing a bikini or other revealing article of clothing, all I can say is wear your scars proudly!!! You earned them :) :) :)

I can eat small amounts of pizza (and almost anything else) but choose to avoid it most of the time. I think I have had pizza twice in the last 9 months but ate only the toppings. The only exception was when I made my own pizza with a low carb flour tortilla. You need to stick to your meal plan 100% since your surgery is recent. There can be complications if you eat things that aren't meant for you to eat yet so please stick to the plan.

Last edited:
No Pizza No way no how. You are suppose to eat certain foods, add differents one at a time. Pizza was not on my list. I am like 8 weeks. Did you recieve a book rather large with choices? If you eat that way and continue and you don't get sick. Then you might not lose weight. Continue on that path and you might even gain. Please look through the internet or call your doctor. As far as the scar well I don't know after its healed there are medications that you can rub on scars to help them fade. My scars are not bad I had mine done the same way you did. Think healthy lifestyle, and healthy food choices.
Good luck,

I am 6 months out. The scars are just lines and they get less and less all the time. I use good commercial lotions, and several different kinds. It just takes time and the most important skin tip, stay well hydrated, in my humble opinion.

No I cannot eat pizza, etc. I eat cottage cheese or yogurt. The South Beach snack bars stay down but I did eat sweets and they come right back up. I'm almost two years and my scars are barely noticeable. I used Merderma. Hope this helped some.

I am not worried about scars, but I notice that all of you are gals. I like Pat99's comment - if you get back to wearing a bikini then wow and yes wear them and show them off! They are badges of courage and success.

Ralph

Im over 12 yrs out. I can eat anything (my surgery was freakishly perfect)
The scars are noticeable on my abdomen and the loose skin on the lower lower thighs and arms but it's most about hereditary how fast you will snap back.

Im over 12 yrs out. I can eat anything (my surgery was freakishly perfect)
The scars are noticeable on my abdomen and the loose skin on the lower lower thighs and arms but it's most about hereditary how fast you will snap back.
Are you gaining weight I am 14 years out and have recently gained 20 pounds help

Are you gaining weight I am 14 years out and have recently gained 20 pounds help
The year or two after I turned 40 I gained about 10 to 15lbs. My eating habits hadn't changed and my doctor said this was normal around that age. It hasn't really changed much though for the last few years.

Back