• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

questions

My first question was which surgery do you want to have-and that is where we spent the most time. I didn’t really know, and explaining why I was torn between bypass and sleeve, and then hearing her advise was awesome.
I was asked how long I’d been struggling with my weight, and what I wanted my goal weight to be. She asked about my support system. Why I wanted the surgery now and why did I think it would help. I had a big question for her which was how do you tell a person in your life who is a taker that you’re doing this for yourself. My father in law is almost totally dependent on us even though he lives on his own. I take him shopping, the doctor, heck tomorrow I’m taking him for his gallbladder removal surgery. He is extremely unhealthy, and it’s hard to explain to someone who is in that place-and is a constant worried about others-why you want to do this for yourself. She was great and gave me great advice.

Mine just let me take the lead and talk. I spoke about being overweight since I was 7, my binge-eating disorder diagnosis, that I'd been sober for over 3.5 years (at that time) and that I was ready to take control of my eating as I had my drinking. I told her that I was finally put on diabetes meds (I had been borderline diabetic for years), that my blood pressure was high and that I had aches and pains from carrying an extra 100 pounds. At 44, I felt I was too young to just accept that I was going to be ill and unhappy with myself the rest of my life. I also told her that I'd lost the weight multiple times since age 19 but always regained (plus padding) within a year. I knew for certain that I needed a tool to help me keep it off.

I told her that I needed to relearn how to eat as if I was reborn, and that with surgery, it would be very similar - liquids only to pureed foods to soft and finally solid foods again. I still believe that moving through these stages is such an important step psychologically.

Back