• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Reaching 6 months post op

lsales4363

Hard to believe it has almost been 6 months. It seems so long ago. I know everyone's program varies, but in my doctor's office - those first six months were protein only. Tomorrow I get to add fruits and veggies for the first time. I couldn't be happier - both with the additional food choices and the 105 lbs I've lost so far. For those who are just starting out - hang in there, follow your doctor's instructions and it will get easier.

Hard to believe it has almost been 6 months. It seems so long ago. I know everyone's program varies, but in my doctor's office - those first six months were protein only. Tomorrow I get to add fruits and veggies for the first time. I couldn't be happier - both with the additional food choices and the 105 lbs I've lost so far. For those who are just starting out - hang in there, follow your doctor's instructions and it will get easier.

CONGRATULATIONS on your 105 lb loss! That is really awesome in 6 months.

CONGRATULATIONS again!!!! :cool:

Cheyenne

Just to be clear, the 105 lbs loss also includes the 30 I lost before the surgery. I sure have enjoyed the addition of fruit and veggies (ok, more so the fruit).

Fantastic! I had my 6 month check up today. All my labs were great so that's a relief. My weight loss is 62.4oz since surgery. So that's ok. They were so busy that I wasn't able to see my Nut so she'll call me next week. I'll be able to spend more time with her and find out where I can make adjustments to start up and speed up this weight loss. I did loose 2# this past week by making a few minor changes hopefully that's a start in the right directions. I hadn't lost anything in the past 3 weeks, I knew these plateaus are normal, but when I read about 100+ pound losses! I confess I get a little disappointed in myself. But I have seen the numbers in inches getting smaller and my clothing sizes smaller and my lab numbers in the healthy zone and I'm happy with myself again. I'm thinking about joining Weight Watchers again, they were helpful for me, just for the weigh in and peer pressure. I'll ask my Nut if the points accounting is appropriate for me.

After today I will have annual Bariatric exams. I can call my Nut and NP whenever I need them. I am off all Bariatric meds now, and only have my multi vitamins, b-1, b-12 (1x week), calcium, vitamin d, thyroid meds and Spiriva meds. That's five pills, three chews, and an inhaler a day. I can do that. I just have 106#s to go and I'll be in my maintenance phase and will award myself with my life long dream of owning a horse! Woohoo!

Just to be clear, the 105 lbs loss also includes the 30 I lost before the surgery. I sure have enjoyed the addition of fruit and veggies (ok, more so the fruit).

Well 75 lb since the surgery in 6 months is still awesome!!! You are doing fantastic!!!! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

Cheyenne

Fantastic! I had my 6 month check up today. All my labs were great so that's a relief. My weight loss is 62.4oz since surgery. So that's ok. They were so busy that I wasn't able to see my Nut so she'll call me next week. I'll be able to spend more time with her and find out where I can make adjustments to start up and speed up this weight loss. I did loose 2# this past week by making a few minor changes hopefully that's a start in the right directions. I hadn't lost anything in the past 3 weeks, I knew these plateaus are normal, but when I read about 100+ pound losses! I confess I get a little disappointed in myself. But I have seen the numbers in inches getting smaller and my clothing sizes smaller and my lab numbers in the healthy zone and I'm happy with myself again. I'm thinking about joining Weight Watchers again, they were helpful for me, just for the weigh in and peer pressure. I'll ask my Nut if the points accounting is appropriate for me.

After today I will have annual Bariatric exams. I can call my Nut and NP whenever I need them. I am off all Bariatric meds now, and only have my multi vitamins, b-1, b-12 (1x week), calcium, vitamin d, thyroid meds and Spiriva meds. That's five pills, three chews, and an inhaler a day. I can do that. I just have 106#s to go and I'll be in my maintenance phase and will award myself with my life long dream of owning a horse! Woohoo!

Hi Kt.. you have lost 62 lb in 6 months! Thats really great!!! Thats averaging 10 lb a month. You'll be at goal weight in about 10 months if you keep losing at the same rate. Thats really super!!!

Wow.. once at goal, you will be getting yourself a horse!!! How AWESOME!!!

I also have been planning on getting a horse when I get to goal. We live on 5 acres so I have the room, I've always wanted a horse but knew I was too heavy to ride one before. I'm 65 yrs old so I may be too old now because if I fall I may break my bones, but no matter, I have decided I'll just pet and love on it if I can't ride it. I rode a little when I was young but that was a very long time ago.

What kind of horse will you get? I probably will get a rescue. I really don't know much about horses, I have been a dog person all my life and know dogs better than people, but I guess I'll just have to start reading and talking more to my neighbor who has horses. :)

Good luck with your soon to be aquired horse!!! :)

Cheyenne

Hi Kt.. you have lost 62 lb in 6 months! Thats really great!!! Thats averaging 10 lb a month. You'll be at goal weight in about 10 months if you keep losing at the same rate. Thats really super!!!

Wow.. once at goal, you will be getting yourself a horse!!! How AWESOME!!!

I also have been planning on getting a horse when I get to goal. We live on 5 acres so I have the room, I've always wanted a horse but knew I was too heavy to ride one before. I'm 65 yrs old so I may be too old now because if I fall I may break my bones, but no matter, I have decided I'll just pet and love on it if I can't ride it. I rode a little when I was young but that was a very long time ago.

What kind of horse will you get? I probably will get a rescue. I really don't know much about horses, I have been a dog person all my life and know dogs better than people, but I guess I'll just have to start reading and talking more to my neighbor who has horses. :)

Good luck with your soon to be aquired horse!!! :)

Cheyenne

I knew we were soul sisters. You could just about replace my name with yours on that last post. I'm 62 but what the heck, if I fall I fall. I just broke my rib playing Army with my grand kids and dog.

I will probably get a rescue too. Once I reach Onederland I will volunteer at a horse rescue place and learn more about them. I live near two or three horse rescue facilities and a bunch of boarding places, so someone will probably take me. I live in a community with a tiny lot so dogs are the big four legged creature allowed; although there is a lot of wild life here and cows and cow persons. Have you ever noticed a that 9 times out of 10 the person driving the truck pulling the horse trailer is a woman?

I too am a dog lover. I have a goofy cousin of the Rottie, a Boxer. I never got into the breaking or showing but we did do Agility and that is great fun and fantastic exercise. My last two were white. They're just the same health wise as the standard fawn or brindle boxers. In fact, my big boy Mojo, was the son of a third place Westminster daddy. Most whites come from "fancy" boxers (they have white socks and white chest and/or face markings). He passed away 2 days before Christmas of 2013. Now I have my white rescue boxer girl, Bailey. My fawn, Mugzy, lived to age 15-1/2 and like Mojo, (10-1/2) died of cancer. Bailey has cancer too, but hers is slow growing, she's only 8-1/2 years old.

I used to foster rescue dogs, and Mojo was a great help rehabilitating these dogs. That's how I got Bailey. We were fostering two collie-poos and in one day they both left for their forever homes and Mojo was so angry with me, he wouldn't look at me for two weeks. If I called him he'd turn his head away from me. If I told him to come, he'd let out a big humph and come but never would he look at me. He really missed these two dogies that didn't know anything about being a normal dog before coming to stay with us. We fostered them for 4 months before they were adoptable. It was lonely with these two goofy dogs gone, so I decided to get Mojo a playmate, thus Bailey came to live with us. I miss him so much. Anyway, my yard is too small for large dog rescue and with my grand kids living with me Sat-Tue it's not something I'm ready to do agin right now.

Now I too am focusing on getting healthy, loosing weight, and getting to goal. Here's to our fantastic future!
Katie

I knew we were soul sisters. You could just about replace my name with yours on that last post. I'm 62 but what the heck, if I fall I fall. I just broke my rib playing Army with my grand kids and dog.

I will probably get a rescue too. Once I reach Onederland I will volunteer at a horse rescue place and learn more about them. I live near two or three horse rescue facilities and a bunch of boarding places, so someone will probably take me. I live in a community with a tiny lot so dogs are the big four legged creature allowed; although there is a lot of wild life here and cows and cow persons. Have you ever noticed a that 9 times out of 10 the person driving the truck pulling the horse trailer is a woman?

I too am a dog lover. I have a goofy cousin of the Rottie, a Boxer. I never got into the breaking or showing but we did do Agility and that is great fun and fantastic exercise. My last two were white. They're just the same health wise as the standard fawn or brindle boxers. In fact, my big boy Mojo, was the son of a third place Westminster daddy. Most whites come from "fancy" boxers (they have white socks and white chest and/or face markings). He passed away 2 days before Christmas of 2013. Now I have my white rescue boxer girl, Bailey. My fawn, Mugzy, lived to age 15-1/2 and like Mojo, (10-1/2) died of cancer. Bailey has cancer too, but hers is slow growing, she's only 8-1/2 years old.

I used to foster rescue dogs, and Mojo was a great help rehabilitating these dogs. That's how I got Bailey. We were fostering two collie-poos and in one day they both left for their forever homes and Mojo was so angry with me, he wouldn't look at me for two weeks. If I called him he'd turn his head away from me. If I told him to come, he'd let out a big humph and come but never would he look at me. He really missed these two dogies that didn't know anything about being a normal dog before coming to stay with us. We fostered them for 4 months before they were adoptable. It was lonely with these two goofy dogs gone, so I decided to get Mojo a playmate, thus Bailey came to live with us. I miss him so much. Anyway, my yard is too small for large dog rescue and with my grand kids living with me Sat-Tue it's not something I'm ready to do agin right now.

Now I too am focusing on getting healthy, loosing weight, and getting to goal. Here's to our fantastic future!
Katie

Katie, We sure are alot alike. Too bad we don't live closer to each other. West Coast Caifornia and East Coast Virginia couldn't be much farther apart. Lol

I had a friend years ago who had a beautiful white boxer. She was a really nice, smart girl. I have always admired them.

Boxers are so athletic, you must have done very well in agility. I took several agility classes with one of my dogs about 20 years ago, but I never did make it to compete in the shows with her. She was a big girl and she couldn't move fast enough ( nor could I) to be competitive.

Your Mojo sounds like he was a very special dog. So sorry you have lost so many of your dogs to cancer. Most all of my dogs have also been lost to cancer in the end. Rottweilers don't normally have a very long life compared to some other breeds. 10 yrs is about average but I did have 2 of them make it til 14 yrs. Right now my Roc and his sister Naughty are 11yrs old. Roc pines for me when I'm in the hospital and my daughter is constanly trying to give him goodies in his dogfood to get him to eat. They both sleep in my bedroom and are pretty spoiled.

Yes, I agree, here is to our fantastic future!!! May we get to our goal weight, feel fantastic, and enjoy our healthy lifestyles for many more years to come!!!

Cheyenne

Back