• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ready to start this new journey to a NewMee!! :)

NewMee

Hello everyone!! My name is Melissa and I've come here because of my never ending desire for more and more information on Bariatric Surgery! I went to a seminar(after talking with my family doctor) on 8/29/2013 and was very interested in having the procedure done! After filling all the required paperwork out that night and waiting within 5 days of a call back from them seeing if my insurance approved me and then came the phone call I've been anxiously waiting for! "Your Approved", so an appointment was set up to see the surgeon on 9/23/2013. I have a choice of picking out of 3 different types of procedures. I would like the Roux-en-Y done and will also listen to hear what the surgeon's opinion is. Higher success rate and lower risks involved which made me happy to hear! I received my paper work on a 3 month course with a Dietitian, 2 Group Classes, Exercise Physiologist, and a Pre-Op Group once all guidelines have been followed. I am very excited to start this new journey to a NewMee!! Unfortunately I put this weight on having a child then having multiple surgeries from 2 injuries that occurred to my leg and my back. I couldn't get around as well as previous and exercises seem like a thing in the past that I once enjoyed but no longer can without getting winded and increasing my pain level. I weened off all pain meds that once took over my life since 2002 and now live on Ibuprophen which I heard will be no longer aloud after surgery. That worries me but I figure if I get this weight off, I won't need to rely on anything anymore. I just am at the point where I'm tired of being tired and want to be a good role model for my daughter! I am starting to take accountability for allowing this weight to come and take over! I WILL take control over it once again and NEVER travel down this path again! Thinking positive like I've always been raised to be and show a smile that is true from the heart!! I've lost 2 people very dear and close to my heart from massive heart attacks, my wonderful mother at 62 and my one and only loving brother at 45. I don't want to be another statistic to heart disease and be able to live in their memory! I had survivor's guilt because I am the one that is obese not them and I didn't try to watch my food intake or life style like they did and they ending up living a short well lived beautiful lives but gone too soon and unfair!! I experienced depression and it's a very lonely cold world that took me awhile to get myself together through therapy and truly understanding accountability!! I wish everyone on here much success and Thank You for listening to my story as well!! I will keep posting as new things happen and please do the same, I love reading, reading, and more reading!!

Back