• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Recipe for Dieters Chili

Dcepello

Mince the onion and garlic and sauté in olive oil ‘till translucent drain the excess oil and set a side. Brown the ground beef in the oil drained from the onions; I use the grass feed beef in the one pound packages because it is very lean. Drain any excess oil from the browned ground beef.

The trouble with ground beef today is its lack of flavor or savoriness. My wife likes to add French onion soup mix or beef bullion to add back some of that savoriness, I however take a different approach, to add Unami to the beef I add a small can of anchovies to the beef or I use oriental fish sauce to add Unami. But in either case my wife’s method or my own, use caution both methods add a lot of sodium to the product and you should taste often to be sure you balance your dish.

Add Worcestershire sauce.

Add the onions into the beef.

Add paprika, chili powder and cumin.

Add the can of whole pealed tomatoes with juice.

Add water if mixture is too dry

Simmer for ten minutes, not too long and nor to hot. The chili will become bitter otherwise.

The paprika, chili and cumin will give the chili depth and warmth. But the cayenne will give the chili Fire. Add cayenne to your own taste, but taste first before adding.

Add beans to chili, you can add more beans if you like.

Salt and pepper to taste.

You can add a tablespoon or two of sugar to brighten the flavor, but that is strictly optional.

Let the beans warm up then serve

Ingredients:
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 medium onion
1 can of whole peeled tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
¼ cup olive oil
4 tablespoons paprika
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 small can anchovies
¼ cup fish sauce
Onion soup mix of beef bullion
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste

Once you’re finished you have a dish which flavorful and all most pure protein depending upon the amount of beans added. I make enough to have it for lunch at work several times a week. It is highly portable in that regard.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I made a chili over the weekend, but substituted the beef for lean turkey. A lot of similar ingredients, but less fat as I have high cholesterol. I too have taken it for lunch. It is nice to have something warm and satisfying for lunch. It is great that you and your wife cook together.

You have to careful with ground turkey, if they use the skins, it can have more fat the ground beef. That is why I recommended the grass feed beef in my experience it lists a higher fat content on the food label than the actual beef. It can be so lean I have to add olive oil to help in cooking. I mentioned draining oil or fat for those who might use regular ground beef but it isn't necessary with the grass fed beef. Now cholesterol may be a different matter. My wife is a birds nest on the ground.

I buy organic 99% lean ground turkey. There is no fat to drain off. I have seen the grass fed beef in my health food store, but did not realize it was less fat. I guess that would make sense. Cows are suppose to eat grass not corn which makes them fatter which in turn is passed onto our food. Love sharing healthy tips. I am not a great recipe person, but just kind of cook by feel. I think it has something to do with my Italian heritage and watching my grandparents and parents cook. I always feel badly when someone asks for a recipe for something and I just say add this and that until it feels right.

We have the grass fed beef in the local markets. I know what you mean about recipes so I kinda wing it with the ingredients amounts and hope I'm not to far off and I say add to your own taste or taste often.

cheers

I'm only four weeks out as of today. Still on the full liquid phase for two more weeks. I have been craving chili for the last few days. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I look forward to trying it out. Maybe even using buffalo meat.

Back