• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Recovery from surgery

GwenH

Hi I am Gwen. I am new to the group and have a bypass surgery date of 1/8/21.

I am curious how many days after surgery it was before you felt good enough to return to your regular daily routine?

I assist my parents who are in their late 80’s and I am trying to anticipate how many days I will not be able to drive in and cook/ run errands for them.

Thanks!

Hi, Gwen. I felt pretty decent and within a week was straightening up/running errands. BUT, I did tire easily and did not go back to work immediately. The problem in answering your question is everyone heals at their own pace. If I were you, I might try to get some back up help for around 2 weeks. If you feel better sooner, wonderful. But that way your parents will have the help if they need it. Good Luck!

Hi I am Gwen. I am new to the group and have a bypass surgery date of 1/8/21.

I am curious how many days after surgery it was before you felt good enough to return to your regular daily routine?

I assist my parents who are in their late 80’s and I am trying to anticipate how many days I will not be able to drive in and cook/ run errands for them.

Thanks!
I felt like death (and apparently people thought I looked like death but disnt say so) for the first week. At about 1.5 weeks I started coming back to life. It was also at this point I went back to work. I wished I would have tKen a bit more time off.

I've seen this vary a lot from person to person. I was doing my regular work and routine a week after surgery, but everyone recovers in their own way, so it is really hard to predict. That being said it seems like things are pretty much back to normal for most people within 1-2 weeks, except perhaps a restriction to lifting things over 15 pounds (give or take) which is sometimes recommended for a month.

Welcome, Gwen. Recovery time varies wildly, according to each individual's ability to recover from trauma. Most members here who've had a lap procedure complain about gas, which seeps out through muscle and skin. It can roll around in your torso for a day or two. With an open procedure there's a different level of discomfort and pain, since it's major surgery.

I had a large incision to deal with, so I had trouble rolling out of bed to the bathroom or kitchen. Once I had to phone my roommate from bed to have him help me! The hospital support group was useless. It comprised a few post-ops, but more pre-ops who just stared at us like we were zoo animals.

I wish I had found this group back then. The people who have passed through here have been amazing, some really great, some not-so. But each person taught us something, and in this rarefied world we share, the sky's the limit where knowledge is shared.

You can search through a dozen years of intimate, informative stories and get a really good ideas that will help you on your JOURNEY.

The most important thing to remember is that your recovery really will be unique to your body. The time it takes can be a time of self-care you deserve. Stay peaceful and visualize your new life. Make SURE you get an abdominal binder. It helps in so many ways. I remember, I had to keep cutting it down so I could cinch it tight. That was AWESOME. It helps promote healing and protects incisions. And make sure you hug a pillow all the time so you can breathe, sneeze cough and laugh without pain. And as it gets smaller, it affirms your weight loss.

Back