• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Recovery time-time off work.

Erin1965

I'm planning on having the gastric sleeve done in late September early October. I know the estimated time off work is 1 to 2 weeks. I'm curious as to hear how long it took others. I'm planning on being off a week-but am I being optimistic?

Had my surgery early April. I took 4 weeks. My company pays 100% short term disability. 1st week back, my stamina dragged but by the 2nd week back, I was good to go. My dr asked when I wanted to go back. My reply was "End of the summer" :) He didn't go for it :)

I had my RNY at the end of January, and went back the first of March. I took 5 weeks. I was scheduled to go back at 6 weeks. I could never have gone back at two weeks.

A factor to consider is what type of work you do. If you answer phones you could go back to work much faster than someone who is up and moving or lifting heavy objects. I teach so I took the summer off but I think I could have been back to work at 3 or 4 weeks. Make sure your Dr knows the type of job/career you have and he/she can help you make that choice.
Good luck

I have a friend that had the sleeve done right after school was out. She said she could have come back in a week if school was in but was happy she had the summer to recoup. Where are you having surgery at ? I live in Oklahoma and am using the Bailey Bariatrics in Owasso.

I think you need two weeks minimally. I took three but was really tired the first week. It depends on what you do for a living. I would not have been ok at one week. All the best, and keep us posted.

Well after reading the comments from those of you that have already had the procedure done, I've decided if my holiday break isn't long enough to heal then I'll take whatever time off I need to. I feel it's important to get healing in the right direction and not to push one's self.

The nurses in my Dr. office said that most people go back to soon and don't get the protein. I am going to take 4 weeks because that way I have time to get used to making sure I am eating correctly, which the nurses say is a job in and of itself. Don't rush things.

I work a very sedentary job. The most rigorous part of my job is walking up the stairs. My surgery is on a Wednesday and I will be back to work (if all goes well) by Monday. I could have gone back to work 2 weeks after my C-section and this is less intrusive.

Back