• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Reflux

paula2363

I am 7 months out my after eating anything my stomach sounds like a carbonated drink making all kinds of noises and bubbling.
my reflux is bad and yes im taking meds for it. I feel bloated at times and dont know what to do.
I see my dr on monday. I dont over eat I dont drink soda or anything like that. I do have a problem dinking slow but I work on it.
anyone have any answers for me.

Your doctor--if you mean your surgeon--will be able to answer these questions. It seems weird to me that you'd have reflux after surgery, so it's good that you'll be talking to a professional.

My opinion is that your reactions are within the normal range. Your stomach has experienced a serious change and your digestive system may take up to a year to adjust.

Hi Cinnieroo, I am 18 days post op sleeve procedure, and it sounds like you are doing great if you are getting the 90 grams of protein daily. I have no hunger feeling at all, and am having problems meeting my 60 gram protein requirement. My stomach does make different gurgling type sounds at different times, and at this point, I am trying to force myself to eat/drink more. If you are feeling pain, can you take extra strength tylenol? I had a hiatal hernia done at the same time as the sleeve, and still have some pain in that area.

Hi Cinnieroo, I am 18 days post op sleeve procedure, and it sounds like you are doing great if you are getting the 90 grams of protein daily. I have no hunger feeling at all, and am having problems meeting my 60 gram protein requirement. My stomach does make different gurgling type sounds at different times, and at this point, I am trying to force myself to eat/drink more. If you are feeling pain, can you take extra strength tylenol? I had a hiatal hernia done at the same time as the sleeve, and still have some pain in that area.
thank you, i did not have hiatal hernia. My dr has me on 90 grams of protein. I am on my fair life shakes at 30 grams of protein. And then i bought unflavored protein to mix in with apple sauce. Whats wierd is my stomach doesnt start the gurgling sounds until i start eatting.

Hi Cinnieroo, my stomach makes the gurgling sounds when I eat/drink too. I also seem to burp more than I remember doing pre surgery. I plan to try fair life shakes after I finish the premier protein shakes I have at home. Muscle Milk has also been recommended. I am still working on meeting my fluid requirements for today. It's been challenging for me so far.

I had to not drink coffee for a bit. Tums and Zofran work for me every well. I do tummy isses every so often But I often will drink some water or hot tea and it does seem to help!!

I am about 2.5 years out and have horrible reflux. 80 mg of omeprozal a day to keep it in check. I also recently learned that stress sets it off. With a sleeve it can cause reflux in some. Even a full bypass doesn't always stop it but it can be more effective at managing it.

Also, take the time to track your intake for a few weeks. You may have some trigger foods. I have had Barretts Esophagus for years. It was not completely cured with my bypass, as damage is permanent. However, it is so much better and I can usually control it with diet.

Back