• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Rising Blood Sugar Levels

Marty G

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 8 1/2 years ago and have been taking oral medication since then to help control my BS levels. Over the years I have had to increase my medication and add new medications and I am at the point, they are not working... at least as they should. I 'm in the process of preparing for Bariatric Surgery and have to get my A1C below 8 to have the surgery. I am frantically trying to control my BS, but it keeps going up despite cutting carbs and sugars in my diet. I am at the maximum dose Metformin, the maximum dose of Glimepiride, and my doctor just started me on Acarbos to give me a boost to get me below 8 (my last A1C was 8.7, down from 9.3). My BS is typically highest when I wake up and then will drop through the day. This morning my BS level was 307 (the highest it has ever been) despite not having eaten a thing in 13 hours. I don't know what to do. After this very high level I took my medication and ate two eggs. I'm going to see if my blood sugar drops quickly or stays up. Anyone have insight into what is happening or any suggestions?

I am a type 1 but when I had surgery my AC1 was 11. My endocrinologist had to write a letter recommendng the surgery even though my BS was high. You may want to talk to your surgeon or doctor about the waiver. Have you tried Victoza? It helped to get my blood sugar down, but only worked for a short time.

Back