• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Risk Management

i'm just hazarding a guess, since most risks of an operative procedure would be collected in a document, which you would then read along with the person legally required to obtain informed consent. i'm curious to see what others think, or have experienced. But i think it's a required step to indemnify the medical facility, as opposed to the surgeon's malpractice insurance, to make certain you know the risks and have made that clear to a witness, who then signs her/his along with you.

Can anyone please explain to me what the risk management appointment is and what is it for? I have never had surgery before.... is this something routine?
Hmm... I've had 4 surgeries in 4 years and never heard of this. My best guess would be that it it's either what Diane is discussing or perhaps a post-op plan outlining risks of certain behaviors with the new tummy? Interesting...

In all my 17 surgeries I've only had one that had a risk management component and that was thyroid surgery. I think that was because of a tumor that couldn't have a fine needle aspiration pre-surgery so they wouldn't know until I was under the knife if it was cancer.

Brenda, thank you for asking. It is so very sad. I call her my lady-in-waiting. She could pass for a concentration camp person. The amount of food she eats in a day is less than 1/2 cup. But we laugh and we laugh and we cry and we laugh. Her 50th birthday is Saturday and we're both hoping she is with us to celebrate. Pancreatic cancer is a terrible disease. Often misdiagnosed until it is too late. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do or will ever have to do, watch a beloved child die.

Thank you for asking. I can't put into words how wonderful that makes me feel.

Brenda, thank you for asking. It is so very sad. I call her my lady-in-waiting. She could pass for a concentration camp person. The amount of food she eats in a day is less than 1/2 cup. But we laugh and we laugh and we cry and we laugh. Her 50th birthday is Saturday and we're both hoping she is with us to celebrate. Pancreatic cancer is a terrible disease. Often misdiagnosed until it is too late. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do or will ever have to do, watch a beloved child die.

Thank you for asking. I can't put into words how wonderful that makes me feel.
I can only imagine what you're going through. It's so fortunate that you're able to be there with her through the end. Only turning 50... so sad yet you show such strength. You're obviously an amazing woman. You must have a lot of faith in your higher-power and the plans for her immortal soul. Sending love and support your way.

Back