• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

RNY 1:17:23

Hi to you! I’m one week into this post op life and having a hard time. I have been looking for a support group or just one person to go through this with. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and I guess I’m the first person up here to have this done. (Just kidding, its hard to meet new people, let alone talk about someone so personal. ). If your looking to talk to someone who is going through what you’re experiencing, contact me. No judgement, no forced advise, just laughing, crying, and understanding.

Hi, my procedure was Jan 9. I'm in the Boston area, and haven't had luck finding a local support group. I'd be happy to correspond with you. I have my first followup with the surgeon tomorrow. I've been making the diet transitions slow, so the only foods I've had are protein shakes, broth, applesauce, greek yogurt and popsicles. Feel free to stay in touch.

Thank you so much for your response. I hope your appointment today went well. How do you feel you’ve been doing through this whole thing?
Just a little info on me:
52 year old, 5’7”female. Heaviest weight was 248, day of surgery was 228 and now I’m 218. I had been weighing myself everyday (big mistake, I know) and I was down to 217, then I gained 2 pounds and went into a mental spiral. I haven’t cried this much in 20 years! I feel like I wasn’t really warned about this, how about you? I was prepared for the pre and post op as far as getting everything I would need. (Protein drinks, flavor for water, broth, and heating pad, but wish I knew about having gas-X!). But the emotional challenge has been worse than the healing. the program I’m in, doesn’t seem to deal with the emotional side of this, which I thought I would be fine with. I had one appointment with psychology and was cleared by them with no further appointments needed. So I thought I would be ok. But I am having problems and I can’t get into seeing someone for about 3 weeks. So I am grateful for you answering my post. I hope you are doing well, but if you’re not, please let me know. I think having a support group ( or person) outside of family, can be helpful. I’m lucky in that I have a supportive husband and grown kids, but they haven’t gone through this and they don’t understand the loss you feel. They can’t understand how hard it is not to eat real food for the week before and two /four weeks after the surgery.
Sorry about the rambling, it’s nice to meet someone who knows what I’m going through.
Please contact me anytime and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Best of luck with your journey

Jess

Hi Jess, I just posted about my visit with the surgeon. I am 49, 5 ft 6, I am down to 221 from 253. I've been having problems getting down 2 protein shakes each day since the surgery. I actually have not felt any hunger since the surgery, and initially had trouble meeting the water/fluid goal of 64 ounces, so I was told to focus on the water/fluids and not to focus on protein shakes. I am so sorry you are struggling. I am in the greater Boston area, and even here, cannot find any support group that meets until March. Thank goodness I found this site! One promise I made was not to weigh myself daily, and I followed through on that, and plan to continue that. I am not in a rush to see the weigh fall off. Today was tough to manage because the surgeon's PA was very happy with my weight loss and kept asking me if I felt lighter. Truthfully, I don't. I live with my mother and help take care of her, so one challenge I have is seeing plenty of "regular food" around me. Here's an example-while eating my eggbeater egg this evening, I emotionally wanted a slice of wheat toast with butter on it, but knew it was a no-no. The surgeon today suggested I may even have developed a slight aversion to food since I hadn't yet tried eggbeaters, or oatmeal. (I do not like tofu or cottage cheese). He said I need to increase my caloric intake. I have followed instructions to walk each day, but when I return home, I am completely wiped out for the rest of the day. I can definitely relate to the feeling of "loss" you are feeling. During my first week after surgery, I cried a lot if anyone in my family asked how I was.
I will warn you I have had definite issues with constipation which I discussed with surgeon today. This was not something discussed in pre op appointments so going through this has been a major surprise for me. The surgeon said I will have fewer bowel movements, maybe every 3 days, and that daily use of Miralax, (along with dulcolax and cholase) will help. We are at the beginning of our journeys, I'm happy to share my email with you too if you'd prefer to stay in touch that way with this journey, Maryann, mcmaryann@gmail.com

I enjoyed Ezekiel Bread, plain or toasted, and sprayed butter-flavored PAM on it instead of butter. PAM is actually just vegetable oil with flavoring and a quick spray is low in calories and high in flavor.

Jess and Maryann, I have a lot in common with you ladies, I’m just further out from surgery. I’m 49, live in Northern WI, starting weight was 253# at 5’6”. I had bypass this past September and was surprised by how psychological this experience has been. I had my 2 psych appointments prior to surgery, but was surprised nothing was required after. I ended up getting Covid 2 weeks after surgery which really put a wrench in my healing, as well as my desire to eat. I would have sold my soul for some Ibuprofen, too! Looking back to those first couple months, I’m actually surprised at how quickly your body heals and you are able to get back to eating regular foods after such a major surgery. It just doesn’t feel like that when you are going through it. I’m 4 months out now, down to 182# with a goal of 170#. I feel good. It was worth it. I don’t have pain with exercise anymore and I feel healthy and strong. Hang in there ladies, it gets better!

Hi Suthy, thank you for sharing your experience so far. I am 19 days out from surgery, and I am experiencing all sorts of conflicting emotions. I am grateful I found this site because my surgeon's hospital has no support group meeting until March. I feel so weak and drained of energy, it's hard at times to think of how things may change in just a few months. I am having a tough time getting in one protein shake and a yogurt or oatmeal. The surgeon advised me to increase to 600 calories but so far I can't get beyond 340/350.

Once I was able to advance to regular consistent foods, I added a protein bar to help up my protein and calories. Your energy really does improve when you are all healed and start upping that protein and calorie intake!

Get out of the bed as fast as you are able to do so! Eat when you can and drink as much as you can handle!!! I walked the ICU 6 hours after the surgery and went home in 3 days. I did push the food a bit but that came in time! I did not loss a lot of weight the first 3 months! It was very, very, slow but once it started to some off, the weight did!!! Give yourself time and stay out of pain as much as you are able! You will move a lot better and sleep too!

Hi Whitney, I've been doing daily walks just having a hard time with constipation and getting enough calories. It's such a massive change. Glad you have recovered well! I'm not looking for fast weight loss, I am quite comfortable with it taking a while to fall off. I am just anxious to get my energy back and get in enough calories.

Back