• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scared

Fred

Hello all! Looking for words of encouragement. I haven't quiet decided about weight loss surgery. I've been seeing a nutritionist and have 2 months left in her program, then I have to decide if surgery is for me. I want surgery but sometimes I feel like I want it to please everybody else. And I'm scared, so much so that just writing about it brings on a small anxiety attack and I'm almost in tears. I haven't told this to anyone. Did any of you have these fears.

Last edited:
I think we were probably all a little nervous but once I made the decision to have it done, that's all I could think of, I am so happy I went through with it, and the pain afterwards is just miminal, the pain meds they give you take care of it. I haven't had any issues with it. I was going to do it many years ago but couldn't afford it, I wish I would have found a way to have it done back then, it really would have been much better on me and my family. It is definitely a choice you have to make on your own, good luck

It took me a period of 5 years to finally make the decision to have my gastric bypass. I kept getting heavier and the medical complications were getting worse. So I went for it and I haven't regretted the decision ever.

A new lease on life.

Make sure when you do decide to research this completely that you find a center of excellence hospital in bariatric surgery and the same for the surgeon.

Hello all! Looking for words of encouragement. I haven't quiet decided about weight loss surgery. I've been seeing a nutritionist and have 2 months left in her program, then I have to decide if surgery is for me. I want surgery but sometimes I feel like I want it to please everybody else. And I'm scared, so much so that just writing about it brings on a small anxiety attack and I'm almost in tears. I haven't told this to anyone. Did any of you have these fears.

I did. I went through all the insurance requirements twice. After the first time, about two years ago, I joined a hospital, doctor supervised weight loss program. I lost a lot of weight, got nutrition classes along the way. But I gained it all back. Super miserable... wasted time... I started the process all over again and just kept going.

Only you can decide when you are ready. But yes, the fears are there.

Hi. Fred, I can honestly say that every few days, since I started the qualification process towards surgery..I start second quesing myself. Even yesterday I woke early with my mind whirling. When this happens I get out my list of reasons why it is important to me to have the surgery..review it...take a deep breath and tell myself I WILL do this. What you are feeling is normal and what so many are also going through. Keep posting and reading other posts, as it will provide an excellent resource to help you make a decision.

I'm feeling same way now! I can't decide if I want it or not. I got next month to decide. I want it badly. But I'm nervous and scared at same time.

When I got the call Friday to set my surgery date I literally started shaking and became nervous. It's like I was hit with the reality that it's finally real and happening. I was questioning myself too as I only have a week until surgery. After the initial shock I became more determined than ever to succeed with this. I want to be healthy for my kids-their future is my biggest motivation. Whatever you decide is best for you, don't let your fears change your mind!

I'm actually worried they would decide that I can't have the surgery for some unknown reason. I think when it comes to a surgery...it is not natural not to be scared. I haven't met anyone who wasn't even a little. I can understand wanting it not to please others but for myself but there are times when I wanna preen and strut when I lose the weight. I want others to see me transformed but I want to be healthy most importantly. You be you. For you.

Hello there
I am having surgery in two weeks and two days. I am starting the modified liquid diet in two days. It is really starting to become real. On top of it I am getting a cold. I have a cough now and am freaking out that it will effect my surgery.
HELP!!!!

Hello there
I am having surgery in two weeks and two days. I am starting the modified liquid diet in two days. It is really starting to become real. On top of it I am getting a cold. I have a cough now and am freaking out that it will effect my surgery.
HELP!!!!
I am in same boat got cold 2 1/2 weeks before my surgery, taking antibiotics and hoping I will be OK for the surgery, can't imaging rescheduling, OMG

Well Joyce! I had surgery on April 19th - I am doing well. The cold/upper-respiratory went away a day or two before surgery. I think it was also allergies.
It wasn't bad. Pain was bearable. Feeling great now 2 1/2 weeks out. Eat soft foods. Have lost 35+ pounds.

Good luck to you. It will all work out.

Best,
Chris

Thanks Chris cough is getting better, so glad to hear pain isn't bad, great job loosing 35lbs, hope all continues to go well. I am on third day of liquids yuk, can't wait 11 more days!,

Oh yes, I was apprehensive a lot of days. I just moved forward. I cried and cried. But still moved forward. I took the time to weigh the pros and cons. The pro lane outweighed the consequences and I kept moving forward. I had the VSG on 3/31/17 and now I KNOW it was the best decision I ever made for my life. NO REGRETS!! ALL JOY!!

Back