• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scared

canecorso81

I am so nervous to get the surgery but I know it will be worth it in the end. I have never even broken a bone so I am clueless as to anything that goes with surgery. Are there anything I should be aware of? I am very nervous about the pain and constipation. I have been watching my 600lb life nonstop just to see how people come out of the surgery. I will say man it scares me. I am a big baby at times with pain but I am also very strong.
Any advice?

Everyone is so different with the pain experience, but most everyone says the gas pain is the worst from the laparoscopic procedures. I have always been able to stop the narcotic pain meds within a few days, and once home would only use them at night to help get better rest. Even if you had had other surgeries to base experience on, every surgery is different as well. My biggest advice is to just keep repeating the cycle of rest, hydrate, walk, hydrate, rest, hydrate, walk... hydrate... The walking really does help, and I always planned it for around 30 minutes after pain meds.

I’ve had 2 c sections, 2 laparoscopic lady procedures, and 2 knee surgeries. None was like the other, even the 2 c sections. What’s important for healing is remembering it takes time. Yes, it will hurt in the beginning, but that’s why you have a medical team. They can help you get through the pain. Remember why you’re doing this. My dad used to say, just think of how good it’s going to feel when it stops hurting LOL the man was a walking dad joke!

Back