• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scars

I have one long 7" vertical scar from the bottom of my sternum to my navel. I had an open procedure because laparoscopy was not available. The worst part was the nerve damage, making it impossible to wear clothes that had non-elastic waistbands.

But you can buy silicone patches that adhere to your skin. These patches reduce the scar tissue considerably.

It took two years for my scar to become less visible. No problem, though, since wearing a bikini wasn't in my future.

I don't know how other people scar, though. Some people have skin that doesn't scar, others get keloid scars that are raised and white. I think people who get laparoscopic surgery have much less visible scarring.

Here’s one of my scars, and lots of stretch marks LOL I’d say they’re about as big as a pencil eraser. I didn’t use cream because I’m planning on having skin removal surgery, so the scars will be in all new places.

I haven't had this surgery but have had surgery. They are minimal and slowly fade away over time, they will become barely noticeable. Also, NEVER put ointment, cream or anything else on a fresh surgical site without consulting your doctor first. Once it is completely healed you can put anything you want on it.

I had one bad incision from where my original lapband port was removed. It was bad because I had a hematoma in that little "pouch" from the port that stretched the incision... thankfully that was incorporated into my new bellybutton with my recent tummy tuck. Even before plastics, none of my other scars were at all noticeable.

I have 6 small incisions. You can hardly see them at all. I didn't use anything on them. Like my stretch marks - I've earned all my bitch stripes and I display them proudly! Hell I wore a bikini on vacation last summer. No one got sick if they looked and no one called the cops. If people don't wanna look at my ab flab - they can kiss my tiny ass.....

Back