• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Second time around, Has anyone had the Lapband removed, and gone back to have it replaced????

WHB

Had the Lapband for 15 wonderful years Started at 256 and was always within 140 and 145. It was the best thing I ever did for myself as a type 2 Diabetic, off all meds and living life to the fullest. Only had it adjusted 5 times it was amazing. Size 22/24 down to a 10/12. And then it happened---it slipped, my sister passed unexpectedly, she was my 1st call in the morning, last call at night, lived around the corner from her, my BFF. I lost 27 lbs in about 6 weeks and one day I noticed lots of heartburn, and acid reflux, and when I vomited I discovered it was dark brown, and looked like coffee grinds, I immediately looked it up and WEB MD, said go straight to the ER. I'm very thankful, because the next few days were filled with test after test, losing blood was the main concern, the band had slipped and some how poked a hole in my stomach. took 2 surgeries to find the problem, ended up on feeding tube for 6 months, but I thank God 1st and my Doctor and Hospital. I am fine now, but the weight has come back, i'm back on insulin other meds, sugars out of control and feel miserable. So that's my story, and now I am waiting for my insurance to ok the surgery. I've learned alot more about the Lapband and I will be doing it all over again. I'm very excited and cant wait to start my new life again. I would rather have the surgery, then to be on Dialysis and have my limbs be at risk. I've tried a few diets since the episode and again no results, thats it, I'm ALL In....
Thanks for reading

Had the Lapband for 15 wonderful years Started at 256 and was always within 140 and 145. It was the best thing I ever did for myself as a type 2 Diabetic, off all meds and living life to the fullest. Only had it adjusted 5 times it was amazing. Size 22/24 down to a 10/12. And then it happened---it slipped, my sister passed unexpectedly, she was my 1st call in the morning, last call at night, lived around the corner from her, my BFF. I lost 27 lbs in about 6 weeks and one day I noticed lots of heartburn, and acid reflux, and when I vomited I discovered it was dark brown, and looked like coffee grinds, I immediately looked it up and WEB MD, said go straight to the ER. I'm very thankful, because the next few days were filled with test after test, losing blood was the main concern, the band had slipped and some how poked a hole in my stomach. took 2 surgeries to find the problem, ended up on feeding tube for 6 months, but I thank God 1st and my Doctor and Hospital. I am fine now, but the weight has come back, i'm back on insulin other meds, sugars out of control and feel miserable. So that's my story, and now I am waiting for my insurance to ok the surgery. I've learned alot more about the Lapband and I will be doing it all over again. I'm very excited and cant wait to start my new life again. I would rather have the surgery, then to be on Dialysis and have my limbs be at risk. I've tried a few diets since the episode and again no results, thats it, I'm ALL In....
Thanks for reading
Hi WHB- Just from reading these forums, I've seen several cases of people getting bands removed and going to other types of surgery. I personally got the sleeve since I know several people that had those successfully. My doctor said that he preferred the sleeve to some of the other methods. Since you were happy with the band, by all means, do whatever your doctor recommends. I hope they know what caused the band trouble for you the first time around. Good Luck!

Our local surgeon won’t do lap bands anymore, only sleeve or bypass. I didn’t have great success with band like you did. I had band removed after 10 years and had gastric bypass 7 weeks ago. If you had success, go for it, but I have heard the sleeve is also s great option for people that had lap band success. Good luck

Lap bands are not the #1 choice today. I had mine removed after 12 years because of getting stuck every time I ate. I am 67 and choose to not do anymore surgery. I don't know how old you are but maybe check out the longevity of all other surgeries. There were 4 band removals when I was in the hospital and they mentioned that this not uncommon after 10 years to have it removed.

I had my lapband removed 2 years after getting it. Unfortunately, I was the victim of an unscrupulous practice that pushed the band rather than the sleeve because of the more lucrative after-care program. When I changed jobs and my new employer covered the cost of bariatric surgery, I did my research, got several opinions and opted for the gastric sleeve which has been very successful for me. From my heaviest at 280, I got down to 168 at lowest, and settled in around 175. Been a little "bouncy" during COVID and working from home full time, but have NO regrets in transitioning to the sleeve.

Back