• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Severe Nausea & Vomiting - Please Help!

I had nausea and vomiting post gastric sleeve for about 2 months, but it improved. However, I was left with severe GERD, resulting on Barrett's Esophagus (pre-esophageal cancer) due to the constant reflux / stomach acid. I had Revisional Bypass Surgery 11/28/17 to relieve the GERD in hopes o f reversing the Barrett's Esophagus. I was okay for the first 2 weeks post op, but have since experienced nausea and vomiting regardless of what I eat (with the exception of sugar...go figure!). Following my surgery I developed a hematoma the size of a tennis ball and an open incision which resulted in infection and a torn abdominal muscle from having the wound packed every day to allow the hematoma to drain. The hematoma has now broken up and the pain from that and the torn abdominal muscle has improved, but I am not able to eat without extreme pain and vomiting. I am now below my goal weight and am not able to stop the weight loss due to not being able to get the nutrition that i need. I have been trying new foods in hopes I can find something that will not make me sick, without luck. I have seen my surgeon and have been instructed to eat slower and to eat foods that are easy to digest, with no luck. I also take zofran and have found that most of the time, this does not help at all! Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to help with this? Foods that are easy to digest or that have not caused nausea and vomiting that has worked for them? Or any suggestions on what they have done in this situation (or a similar situation)? This is all very discouraging and scary. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm glad to here it has improved, I agree with your Dr. Eat very slowly and very small meals, I would eat as little as possible at each sitting but have many small meals in a day, stay away from sugar as much as you can, your stomach is like a baby's stomach, and you need to treat it that way until you are fully healed, and try to get in as much protein in as you can. That will help with the healing. Maybe go back to a liquid diet with protein shakes and soups, protein jello, I hope this helps. Good luck

I generally eat about 5 times each day. Strangely, things that contain sugar are the only things that do not cause me to feel sick. Not exactly a good thing by any means. I have reverted back to soft foods and liquids with the same result. I always start with my proteins before adding anything else to my meals, but it is almost as if my body is rejecting it, which I know is very dangerous. I have a very hard time getting protein shakes down, but add the unflavored protein to decaf coffee and other liquids to try to get as much in as possible. It's definitely been a much more difficult recovery than the sleeve for me. I was at least able to keep some things down with the sleeve, but this revisional bypass has proven to be far more difficult. And has definitely reduced my quality of life which makes me wonder if I made the right decision. I pray everyday that when I have my next endoscopy that the Barrett's esophagus shows signs of correcting itself. If not, I will definitely not recommend this to anyone facing a similar situation. I am asked by all of my doctors at each visit if I feel the revisional bypass was worth it... my GERD is gone, but until they take more biopsies, I will not be able to give them my official answer to that.
Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions. It means a lot!

Back