• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Skin?

Okay, I am having a particularly anxious night. I have been looking at you tube videos of post surgery skin! Yikes! I am starting to second guess my decision. My surgery is scheduled for June 20th. I just wanted to check with you guys to hear how you are dealing with this issue. Is there anything I can do NOW to help avoid this issue?

Scared

Hopefulone, Just think of how lucky you would be to have some droppy skin. It would mean you have lost a good deal of weight, your heart is under less stress, your blood pressure is down, your joints and feet are taking less of a pounding, you will be at much less risk for heart disease, diabetes and stroke. The best first answer to loose skin is exercise the younger you are the better your chances of tightening up. When you come to your target weight and stabilized; then start worrying about the extra skin. In the mean time start saving up for plastic surgery. It is one step at a time but the first step is the most important one.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Hopefulone, Dennis is right, would you rather have droopy skin and be healthy or have skin stretched over an out of shape body that is working too hard to keep functioning. I've love 140 so far and I do have loose skin, but until I hit my target weight, I'm not going to worry about it. I guess the question you need to answer for yourself, is "Am I doing this to look good or am I doing this to become a healthy person, able to live life to the fullest?" Only you can answer that one. Let us know how it's going.

Frank

:cool:

I agree with everyone on this. The skin is already there but it is filled with fat. Either way you have the skin the only difference is one way it is heavy and reaps havoc on your joints the other way it is flat and can be hid under cloths.

Best of wishes

Hi hopeful one,

For some strange reason I never gave it a thought until my daughter in law asked me about it. I now realize that I will have some hanging skin especially on my legs. From all the reading I have done it is my understanding that some of the elasticity will return within two years after reaching your goal. I seriously just wanted to get healthy again and be able to walk my dog and go back to square dancing which I really enjoy. Almost there. You can't see my hanging skin when I have clothes on, just when I get in a swim suit. At any rate, I am of the opinion that getting healthy is more important and I wouldn't go back to the way I was for anything. I am enjoying buying a few new clothes, and am getting closer to being able to walk the dog as long as I stay on the sidewalk. It is truly a wonderful journey and if I feel the need I will definitely see a plastic surgeon. Please don't let some hanging skin keep you from getting healthy, there are ways to cover it up and/or fix it later on. Joy

Honey, that's why they make Spanx! Get yourself skinny and then stick your skinny self in Spanx, if it bothers you. I look at it this way, if people look at you weird for being fat, then let them look at you a little weird for hanging skin. But let it be their hang up, not yours! xo Lacey

Im not sure about others, and I really tried not to use the mirror pre op, BUT when I lost a significant amount... post op, I really did not realize it; OMG; I kinda look like a deflated balloon that was blown up too much. SPANX work just fine. I am not at goal weight yet but may get Nip&Tuck next year due to excessive sagging skin in the wrong places... a health issue, not for glamour. To help things I get massages for the muscles and oil and lotion to help with skin appearance. Arms look really good and no biggie. In Southern areas SPANX!

I will for sure be investing in SPANX!!! Once I stabilize I will get some nips and tucks as well. I know I am going to have droopy skin im realistic about that.

In the Bariatric Orientation seminar that I had at UC Davis Bariatric Dept. both the Bariatric and plastic surgeons said that most insurance companies will take cover the cost of plastic surgery for the "belly flap" and for breast reductions for health reasons, sweat and rashes and other things. The rest would be out of pocket. The plastic surgeon had before and after slides of men and women who had the different types of plastic surgery most often requested.

Most of these people lost double digit pounds in skin weight too. The belly flap alone was between 8# to 24# removal in skin. The good news is the two areas most people have any problem at all with too much skin is covered by insurance and the rest can be taken care of if needed or desired. Works for me! ;-)

I hate the batwings I have now. The tummy and batwings will be the first to go but they said they normally do it in 2 stages the tummy and inner thighs and then the breast and batwings.

Well I am happy to hear that perhaps some skin removal will be covered by insurance. We will see. I will be dealing with the belly flap and for health reasons that can be removed.

Interesting. I also know that if you do toning exercises, the skin will also tighten up in many areas as well.

Just check out Linney's latest video on Bat wings!

Back