• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleep after GB 4 months Post today

Jniz

I am struggling with sleep most nights I take 50mg Trazadone every night and about every 3rd night I use 5mg of Zopidem. Do any of you find that this gets better in time. Eating so much less now is contributing to this I'm sure? Any thoughts? I tried to like melatonin but it just does not work for me.

I’ve been having trouble sleeping too. Before the surgery I used to be able to sleep n till around ten or eleven now I get up around seven am and half awake during the night. I don’t drink any caffeine either except som a cup of coffee in the morning. So I don’t know what’s the problem

I have good days and bad days. Right now I am waiting for my thyroid med which is messing with me. It was mailed on 11th and still not here. The 10 day dose ran out on Sunday. Mail hasn’t arrived yet so…. Sleep has been off last two night. Plus the VA wants my C-pap masks to last for 6 months and they start coming apart after 2 months. Another sleep stressor. This is wrong. So trying to find additional source for masks. Did online search all kinds of stuff comes up but not what I am looking for

Last edited:
I have good days and bad days. Right now I am waiting for my thyroid med which is messing with me. It was mailed on 11th and still not here. The 10 day dose ran out on Sunday. Mail hasn’t arrived yet so…. Sleep has been off last two night. Plus the VA wants my masks to last for 6 months and they start coming apart after 2 months. Another sleep stressor. This is wrong. So trying to find additional source for masks. Did online search all kinds of stuff comes up but not what I am looking for
I get my disposable masks from Sam's Club. They are (I think) Jesun/Jegun brand (Jiaxing) Single-use Protective Mask non-medical; 3 ply face mask (ear loop); 50 pc. per box. Maybe these would work for you. I pick up 3-4 boxes every month or so that I go there.

Red tape & bureaucracy is the worst.

Sorry no help here. I have never been a good sleeper I am lucky to get 5 hours a night. I think this is from years of night shift work and having kids in the day time. I need at least 4 hours of sleep and I am good to go. My mother always says as a kid I did not sleep well.

Good luck to you. Do you sleep better when you get a lot of exercise?

Exercise doesn't seem to help as much as when I was younger. I haven't had any caffeine for over 5 weeks. I seem to need 6 hours sleep anymore. I keep waking up every few hours and never know when sleep will come.
Hopefully my body adjusts to the change b4 long. Appreciate the feedback.

When I was in my 20s, I did 100 sit-ups before bed. Then I wondered why I couldn't sleep.

If I'd only done 25, I probably wouldn't have caused my adrenaline to take over and keep me awake.

My ideal morning routine is making coffee, doing isometric exercises for 10 minutes, followed by 20 minutes of stretchy yoga, reading a daily affirmation and following it all day, being creative and breaking down 5 or 6 tasks, and acting on them.

My actually morning routine is more like making coffee, sitting on the couch and watching tv all day.

Wish I could get a job doing that. I'd be great at it.

Roni, if you have access to the VA, and they're not providing you with enough hardware or accessories, escalate your complaint until you get what you served and worked for.

You must have been diagnosed with apnea. If so, your sleep needs fall under the prior authoration heading. If my insurance cheated me like that, there'd be some epic ass-kicking from their office to Seattle.

I'm so pissed to hear you're being treated this way, I wish I could stand up for you in person.

I don't know your specs, but please believe me when I say they're looking for a lawsuit AND endangering your health and life.

I have apnea and the vendor sent supplies every 90 DAYS without me asking. I still have a huge cache of equipment. And I gave my morbidly obese, uninsured sister my first machine and a passel of masks and hoses. I don't suffer from apnea anymore, so I'm going to sell my recent, barely used machine and accessories.

Flex your rights! It's a known fact that apnea is broadly present in the obese population. ##@%*&#%%&^&!!!!!!!

I have good days and bad days. Right now I am waiting for my thyroid med which is messing with me. It was mailed on 11th and still not here. The 10 day dose ran out on Sunday. Mail hasn’t arrived yet so…. Sleep has been off last two night. Plus the VA wants my C-pap masks to last for 6 months and they start coming apart after 2 months. Another sleep stressor. This is wrong. So trying to find additional source for masks. Did online search all kinds of stuff comes up but not what I am looking for
I must have set my brain aside when I replied about disposable masks. I totally missed that you were talking about C-PAP masks. Thus disposable paper masks probably wouldn't work so well. I'm sorry about that. :rolleyes:

I am struggling with sleep most nights I take 50mg Trazadone every night and about every 3rd night I use 5mg of Zopidem. Do any of you find that this gets better in time. Eating so much less now is contributing to this I'm sure? Any thoughts? I tried to like melatonin but it just does not work for me.
Melatonin takes a build up to work. Make sure u r taking it correctly. Maybe a different regiment might help Consult psychiatrist program consults with. It’s so tough to not sleep

Welcome, Cheryl Sue. My experience was different. I got results on 1mg the first night. I now take 10mg before bed. I have raging insomnia, so finding this magic pill was a godsend. But each body is different, so it probably is best to expect some kind of uptake time.

I take a variety of sleep meds, but the best thing about melatonin is that it seems to extend the effects and benefits of the others.

I highly recommend it as a brain signaling supplement.

I took melatonin for years and wanted it to work but just didn't. I take magnesium glycinate & liked it better. But nothing seems to keep me asleep Hopefully this is short-term. I can't imagine taking 10 mg. I would be groggy the whole next day. I feel for you Diane your insomnia has to be miserable.

I want to apologize to the group for that long post about childhood trauma.

My intention was to create some context for my eating disorders. But it was unfocused and didn't get to the point.

I've been a member for 14 years and I know childhood shaming is a big contributor to self-destructive eating behavior. But my responsibility and role here is to help, and find help, specifically for relevant eating issues.

I can help by sharing past trauma, but there's a line I crossed where I was not being helpful but tragic, and probably upset others here.

I only realized this by being awakened to a loud, scary domestic violence episode involving a neighbor couple in a car outside my window. It upset me terribly and is still not resolved.

I started thinking then about issues behind overeating. They're real and important, but our group is about bariatric surgery, not a forum for graphic stories of past abuse. I have a therapist for that sort of exploration and healing.

So I'm going back to topic so I can support you and you can support me in my actual struggles with eating. The issues we face in daily existence are challenging enough without adding horror stories that should remain in the past.

I don't live in the past. I survived and thrived, and I'm so happy to be here in this loving, brilliant group of like-minded people. My commitment to focusing on eating behavior is renewed.

Thank you all.

I want to apologize to the group for that long post about childhood trauma.

My intention was to create some context for my eating disorders. But it was unfocused and didn't get to the point.

I've been a member for 14 years and I know childhood shaming is a big contributor to self-destructive eating behavior. But my responsibility and role here is to help, and find help, specifically for relevant eating issues.

I can help by sharing past trauma, but there's a line I crossed where I was not being helpful but tragic, and probably upset others here.

I only realized this by being awakened to a loud, scary domestic violence episode involving a neighbor couple in a car outside my window. It upset me terribly and is still not resolved.

I started thinking then about issues behind overeating. They're real and important, but our group is about bariatric surgery, not a forum for graphic stories of past abuse. I have a therapist for that sort of exploration and healing.

So I'm going back to topic so I can support you and you can support me in my actual struggles with eating. The issues we face in daily existence are challenging enough without adding horror stories that should remain in the past.

I don't live in the past. I survived and thrived, and I'm so happy to be here in this loving, brilliant group of like-minded people. My commitment to focusing on eating behavior is renewed.

Thank you all.
Thank you for your very unselfish and completely sincere apology. Sharing past experiences, both triumphant and tragic, and walking us through your healing process(es) has touched our hearts & souls.

You might feel you overshared; that is valid & important, but more importantly to the rest of is, you unintentionally may have started any one of us on our own pathway toward healing & letting us feel healthier.

Hugs from WV ❤❤ :)

Back